seventy-one

september 2018
📍los angeles, california
kelsey's pov
+++

"I'm home. Are you done being a brat now?" I jump off of my bed when I hear Shawn's voice, surprised he's here earlier than he had implied- he obviously was concerned about the comment. Such a baby.

"You brought food?" I smile as I walk into the kitchen, spotting an In N Out bag in his hand.

"Who's Dylan?"

I roll my eyes. "Who?"

"Whatever."

"Whatever." I mumble, taking a burger and sitting on a barstool as he sits next to me.

"You didn't talk to him?" Shawn asks as I reach for a fry.

Someone has a guilty conscience.

"No, Shawn! I'm not the one texting other people!" My loud mouth blurts out before I can stop myself.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I shake my head, getting up and leaving my food to my bedroom. "Tell Hailey I said hello, next time." I can't stop myself. It's clear I know he's texting her, I can't cover it up now.

"We're friends!" I hear Shawn groan as I shut the door behind me.

"Come back and finish arguing with me so we can make up." He pleads, standing up to follow me. "You know I wouldn't hurt you like that."

I plug my headphones in and turn on the first show in my recommended. It's called Dumplin, with Jennifer Anniston and it serves as a distraction.

The door to my room opens not even five minutes later. Shawn has the rest of my cheeseburger and fries on a plate and lets himself in. "Go away." I mumble.

He rolls his eyes. "At least eat the burger. You're gonna hurt it's feeling's."

I snort before I correct my facial expression to a glare. My feelings are hurt too.

"I looooooove you."

I shut my computer, annoyed. "Bro. Let me watch my movie."

"Not until you love me back."

"Maybe Hailey will love you back." I retort, reaching for my burger as he holds it out of my reach.

"Hailey is my friend, Kelsey. I thought you trusted me." Shawn says quietly, sitting closer to me and reaching for my hand when I pull away.

"I do! Or I did! Until you claim to be recording music but you're really at her house!" My chin wobbles, and I blind rapidly before I continue.

He puts his head down and I know he feels like shit now. Shouldn't he feel like shit, though?

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lied- I know there's no excuse. But I could never cheat on you. I thought you knew that." He mumbles the last part, clearly hurt I jumped to that conclusion. "I'm sorry."

"I know." I groan, wiping my cheeks and going to put my head against his shoulder. "I'm sorry I went through your phone."

+++