Chapter 5 - Overtaken

Beginne am Anfang

“Now, Wisp. You change into me as soon as the border moves again, got it? I’ll let you play with your grimoire friend all you want when I get back. Promise.”

Wisp nodded solemnly, sprouting a happy little tail as his shape began to change instantaneously.

“No, Wisp! Not yet!” Hawkins said, trying to rein his Trait back in but it was too late.

The smoke had filled the courtyard in a matter of seconds, people coughing and spluttering as the green clad men emblazoned with a silver emblem barrelled their way haphazardly through the crowds, shouting their gang name like a blazing brand against their ears. The morning rush hour was abandoned as people scattered like flies, the protective shield of faces now gone as Wisp reformed beside him, copying his exact features like a mirror, despite having the ditziest grin on his face. Hawkins sighed, running a hand through his hair, straightening his collar as Wisp waited patiently, bobbing his newly shaped head about.

Hawkins dodged behind a nearby break in the rushing masses of people, darting left and right as he dragged his body double away from the carnage only to slam into an advancing bouncer from the very gang he was trying to avoid.

“Hornet ain’t one to let a Mediator like you slip away, Hawky. The boss ain’t best pleased about what you did to us in Axis.” he said, towering a good few inches above Hawkins as Wisp poked him with his pudgy digits.

The bricks on the nearby border shuffled lazily through its routine as it formed a single opening between the cracks in the walls.

It was now or never.

“Well, give Hornet my deepest regards to the Swarm and hopefully you’ll do better against my Trait next time.”

The thug tried to grab him but Hawkins was too quick, abandoning his earlier tactics and grabbed Wisp’s arm before they could do anything else. With a single thought he turned them both into smoke as he slipped through the border and back into the interchanging streets of Axis once more.

……..

“Damnit, Wisp! You almost got us killed!”

The little ball of grey fluff began to sulk, his grey streams of smoke began to darken as he attempted to nuzzle Hawkins shoulder but his owner walked on without him. Soon Wisp was trying to smother him with affection, doing anything to get his attention as he clung desperately to Hawkin’s coat.

“Enough, Wisp! Back in the lighter, now.” Hawkins demanded, flicking open his lighter.

Wisp floated aimlessly beside him, his tendrils now droopy as his smoke was now a morose, storm cloud, his detached arms now elongating at a rapid pace, his body growing bigger in seconds as he let out a large wail before zooming off in the opposite direction far into the maze of streets and houses ahead of them.

“Wisp, wait! I didn’t...mean it.” He said, attempting to chase after him but he was long gone.

Hawkins groaned loudly, taking out a loose cigarette and lighting it to calm his frustrations as he kicked at a stone grumpily. It wasn’t Wisp’s fault they got into trouble, he got nervous and panicked only for his emotions to get the better of him. Just like always.

The stone skidded into a nearby alleyway, slamming into a teetering pile of junk as it crashed to the ground, a mewling sound of discontempt following soon after it. He stumbled back as he forced himself to backtrack, knowing full well it would probably be a bad idea.

“Hello? Wisp? Anyone in there?”

The echoing response of groans and grunts sent a chill down his spine as the gathering smoke from his cigarette moved expertly through the rubbish. He took a step backwards as the rubbish began to shift away on its own, his Trait retreating back towards his master.