Chapter 46 - Scout

"Lady Nivara!"

The Mist Maiden rushed past the needy Mediator, fed up with her constant questioning and complaints. There was enough to do without the hero of the Burning Wall attempting to sabotage her position. 

"Order Leader!"

Quickening her pace, she stormed ahead of her slowing apprentice who wanted nothing more than to watch the chaos unfold. Scout was carrying an obscene amount of paperwork, dawdling all the while despite the looming deadline over their heads.

"You need to make a decision, Nivara. Lady Aria will be here-"

"I know. I have enough to do without worrying about what she wants, Kalaris." Nivara reminded her, trying to keep the frustration out of her voice.

She understood why Kalaris was so done with her and her leadership over both the Excelliars and the Mediators. Being passed over a position twice by the same person was a bitter pill to swallow. But Lady Aria had ordered them both to settle their differences. Stopping the Taishin with a pea shooter was more likely than either of them ever seeing eye to eye.

"But the Wolves of the Fallen are threatening to protest closer to the borders. They are...were my subordinates. They are my responsibility. Please, let me talk to them. Maybe I can get them to see sense?"

Nivara couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for the Undercity native, her selflessness rarely being shown through her abject stubbornness. But Kalaris' meaningful request was tainted by the sound of her apprentice's derisive scoff.

"You should've thought of that before you sold us all out to Chimera." He muttered, struggling to carry so many documents without his Trait.

Kalaris seethed at the ex Swarm member, the resentment in his eyes proving that he knew exactly what kind of person Kalaris was. Her formidable Ash Trait was known for destroying lives with her lack of control. Yet nothing was ever proved against the Mediator leader.

The written reports Kalaris had given her Throneholder were responsible for a lot of the 'renovation' projects that were forcing Traited out of their homes in favour of reconstruction and reform. It took the Living City of Axis some convincing but despite Kalaris' communication skills her efficiency with the written word couldn't be faulted.

"I understand how you feel but I cannot spare anyone to quell the flames of rebellion. Not even the hero of the Burning Wall."

Nivara's statement was completely ignored in favour of a withering glare.

"Of course, Order Leader." 

Kalaris' resentment was clear in every step as she walked away, purposely bumping into the wiry apprentice. Scout sprawled on the floor, the stack of papers now strewn everywhere.

"Scout!"

Nivara rushed towards him, her mist gathering the pages expertly as it was gathered into a neat pile again. She knelt down and offered Scout a hand, ignoring his teary eyed expression.

"Are you OK?"

Scout blinked away his tears, rubbing his face with a grubby sleeve and picked himself up regardless. Bending his knees, he lifted up the newly fixed pile with a grunt of exertion and began to tread slowly towards his goal.