Chapter 26 - Stormheld

Not one, single noble gave a decent score for Charmer.

As the placards of one's and zeros slammed onto the packed dirt in front of her, Nivara couldn't help but feel a rush of accomplishment. Finally, Finally they were listening. It was by no means a starting point but it was something.

Amongst the quiet protest, the Soundbooms did their job diligently although a few muttered grumbles about disorganisation and laziness didn't go unheard by the dragons booming voices.

Only a single dragon began to cry.

Flitter flopped defeatedly to the ground, her rigid frame now slack as tears streamed down onto her scales. Nivara's heart hurt for the little dragon, feeling a pang of guilt for saying those hurtful things towards her. Her Agar however turned away from the Fleetfoot dragon, pacing furiously as she tried to process all that had happened in her head.

Nivara couldn't watch anymore.

While Charmer was busy attempting to convince the Soundboom's of foul play on their Regents 'biased assessment,' Nivara did what any decent Traited should do and made her way over to the upset Flitter. She hunched down on her knees, attempted to keep her balance and waited until the Fleetfoot noticed her.

"C-come to yell at me some more?" The dragon said between gulps of air, unable to stop her sadness from overflowing.

Nivara gave her a sad smile before pulling down her hood. She had heard the rumours of partner coercion many times from her own attempts to quell such nonsense. This time would not be any different. She would not allow such accusations to be made again, whether it included her or not. Once was more than enough.

"Of course not. I haven't finished my final report yet. I decide the rank, remember?" Nivara said, softly.

"Oh. I guess we're unranked then."

Nivara winced at the severity of her tone. Flitter had already given up despite trying so hard to hold her Agar back. The Fleetfoot dragon shifted her weight from side to side, nervous as she tried to stay true to her partner while trusting Nivara and her position.

"I tried...I tried to tell Charmie it was a bad idea but she told me I'd disappoint everyone if I didn't do it. But I was scared. I was really scared of that big demon thing and I couldn't let it hurt her. Not again." Flitter rambled, scuffing her claws against the sawdust.

The despair in the Fleetfoot dragons' voice was unmistakably similar to another dragon she had recently befriended. Ripple and Flitter only wanted to do what was best for their Agar, going as far as to blindly trust them no matter the consequences. Trust was a two way thing. Without it, Nivara would not be where she was today without the blatant trust of others. She noted the dragons words, deciding that now wasn't the time for asking about when Charmer was hurt before, despite being curious.

"I think you did wonderfully, Flitter. I just think you both have a lot of things to improve on. If you'll allow it, may I escort you over so I can explain some more?" Nivara said, kindly offering her arm to a distressed dragon.

Flitter let out a confused grumble of disapproval, sniffing as she tried to ignore her Agars antics with fruitless attempts at riling the crowd and the representatives in her favour.

"Promise you won't yell?" She said at last, startling Nivara with her sudden timidness.

"I promise I won't yell this time. I just get a wee bit nervous when speaking to lots of people and I can't really control my voice that well." Nivara admitted, her Caldorian accent slipping out just to heighten her embarrassment further.

Nivara had her hand over her chest in promise, Flitter's giggles settling her rapid heartbeat just a touch.

"Like a Soundboom! They said a bunch of rude stuff earlier. It was funny."