Chapter 33 - Past

For the first time in a long time; the elven Enforcer almost seemed human.

Hawkims remembered when Mantis had first burst into Grimmordials, brash and overconfident with little care for life. Even her own safety didn't matter as long as she got what she wanted but he knew that was only a false bravado matched by every member in the Swarm. 

It was the same for other gangs too. The Gearloose gang was known for gathering oddities and crackpots to their cause yet when it came to face something like the Overtaken he had fought, it paled in comparison. That was truly a being devoid of humanity. 

"How do you-" Hack asked, but not before Mantis could interrupt him.

"I just know, OK?" 

Mantis snapped, her reaction no different to anything beforehand. But her body language was like a dog afraid of its master. Angry and scared that answered everything with hostility no matter what was said in what tone. 

The elven stayed put on the half broken couch, too afraid to pay attention to the quiet rumbling of the annoyed Sand Wraith. Hawkins' mouth tweaked upwards, comparing Hack's reaction to an insulted Fleetfoot dragon at a debate. 

Hack tried to wordlessly communicate with Hawkins by glaring at him to give the go ahead to use his Trait. The Smoke Traited however, could see the hurt and fear in Mantis' eyes and he shook his head at the outraged Sand Wraith. 

Rin stayed silent, giving the Air Traited concerned glances but attempted to concentrate on her notes. Cull however, let out a heavy sigh and folded his arms before starting to explain, his voice suddenly sincere and calm.

"Our old boss before Hornet took over…." He began, faltering at the sight of Mantis' harsh glare but he closed his eyes and kept going.

"He used to use these to force us not to reveal anything about the Swarm. He killed half of our group in an instant with one Lockbind curse and imprisoned the rest just for the fun of it."

Hawkins was stunned, not just because of the confession but the rapid change in mood from arrogance to vulnerability. His vision blurred while Cull paused his story to slowly eat the last of the Insta Puff rolls. 

Quietly he offered half to his sister and the scene overlapped with a younger version of the two, dirty and chained to each other while they coddled closer for warmth. Cull conjured a matchstick sized flame to heat up the soiled, moldy dough before anyone could snatch it away.

"Cricket arrived soon after that to turn the tables but our current boss Hornet was never the same after that. She used to be part of a clan, after all so it's no wonder she took it badly. Rin, all of us took it badly."

Hawkins winced as the Scale Shrieker gasped, Hack staying silent but his eyes were wide with horror. The thought of undergoing such an ordeal at such a young age was harrowing, unable to speak of the hardships they were undergoing. 

Even if their abuse was clearly visible, there was no way for them to admit the crimes against them because they would only suffer and eventually die in agony from the curse. Hornet and Cricket were not part of the Swarm at that time but as soon as the unruly Lightning Traited arrived with the young Tarragon they took over and thrust the twins with a new responsibility. Babysitting Cricket.

"Cull!" Rin hissed loudly, still wary of the idea of anyone arriving to reprimanding them. 

Hawkins could tell how scared the young Fire Traited was, terrified at the thought of anyone or anything moving unnaturally in case of any eavesdroppers or imaginary assassins. 

"What? He's dead now. It doesn't matter anymore. He got what he deserved." Cull reminded her, his tone blunt and cold.

"He could still have people after us."