Chapter 43 - Reina

It didn't take them long to find their old campsite. With Mantis' vague recollections paired with Hazard's Firestep scent tracking, they were able to avoid running into the Overtaken again and find the levelled out prison.

Hack's small stone chairs had been used as a foundation for a large arial cage suspended by what looked like strands of Cricket's Haze Trait. The floor was made from shards of condensed rock melted into slag and cooled rapidly for a sturdy mishmash of structures. 

But the large problem with this prison wasn't its construction or Trait but the weather. As they travelled further into the entrance of the camp the stifling heat became a lot more humid to the point where the sudden rain could be cupped into their hands and offered the first drink of water in ages.

The group had split into two: Thea and Hazard on one side of the maze of rubble, keeping a lookout for the two Overtaken. Hawkins, Mantis and Gizmo on the other, trying to find a way in.

The corpses of the prior Enforcers were hard to ignore, littered and broken around the blooms of flame raised up on shards of driftwood stuck fast into the molten earth. Gidget was the only one spared but barely noticeable, hiding in the darkness of the furthest corner of his shared cell.

"Looks like Gizmo was telling the truth." Hawkins said, half expecting to walk into a trap as soon as they arrived.

The suave Tinker Mole sniffed haughtily in disapproval but was too wary of Hazard's intervention despite the distance between them. Hawkins didn't know everything about Truants but based on the large hole in their chest they had been imploded by something on the inside. 

"That's a first." Mantis agreed, hiding her laughter in favour of a cough.

There was no doubt in his mind that they were dead but...why weren't they a pile of ashes? His eyes went wide as he recalled the solo fight between him and the Enforcers. Not one of them had a partner present. 

More than likely they were all Agars considering the potential distance and lack of proximity. But even if Gidget and the unlikeliness of Gizmo were both Agars, surely they would've been told or even noticed? Even then, they were missing an Agar...another member of the Enforcers was nowhere to be seen.

"Oh shit. She's here." Mantis said, taking a peek at the situation behind a large crag of broken rock.

Hawkins could barely see what she was talking about, the waiting guard shrouded in darkness and a bottle blue cloak reminiscent of the Regent of Opalis. But instead of a fog surrounding the area it was a small squall of rain. Perhaps Mantis being a half elf gave her better eyesight, he had no clue.

"Who? Hornet?" Hawkins guessed, not sure of who would be wearing a cloak in the rain at night.

Mantis didn't seem to care about bickering with him, scarcely shaking her head as if even the slightest movement would alert her.

"No. Reina. Cricket's partner. No wonder we managed to distract the Overtaken while she's guarding this place. Damnit. She's probably been able to control it all along with her Water Trait."

He only half heard her, mesmerised by the Singfall siren in front of him and half regretting his words about needing a Water Traited. They were known for alluring others to benefit themselves after they betrayed their kin for more land. It was said they were banished from the sky from another race but that was only children's tales. The Griffinettes were rarely seen anyways.