Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Boss, I know it's sad, but we have to go. Seth said that there's chatter on the police channels about what happened here," Jasper hissed.

"Take him," I choked out. "We can't let him be found by the police."

"Understood, Boss," Jasper said. He looked at Jake. He nodded, bending down and picked up the broken Demetri, tossing him over his shoulder and carrying him out of the warehouse. I stood back up, my heart shattered at such a loss with Demetri. I gulped heavily, stomping up the stairs. Inside one of the larger rooms, I saw Felix holding a rifle. It was aimed at a Volturi. He was bleeding from a wound on his shoulder and another in his thigh. If I wasn't mistaken, it was Marcus's youngest son, Matteo. The boy looked no older than eighteen, but snarling angrily at Felix. "Matteo got caught?"

"Fuck you," squeaked the boy. "This is my rite of vengeance."

"For what?" I growled. "What happened to you?"

"Your father killed my grandfather," he spat.

"Then, your beef is with my father," I said calmly. "Now, you were pretty successful in killing a lot of men, but you lost a great deal along with that victory. Nor are you going to stop us from delivering our shipment, you idiot." I turned to Felix, who looked so shattered. "Do you want to kill him?"

"So much," Felix whispered.

"We can't. Not yet," I said. "We need to interrogate him. Not here, though. There's been enough death and destruction here. Plus, we can prolong our interrogation if it's done elsewhere." I blinked at the other man. "What's your name?"

"Liam, Mr. Cullen," he answered, his voice deep and with a subtle Irish brogue.

"Do you have a car here, Liam?" I asked.

"I rode with Felix and D-D-Demetri," Liam stuttered.

"Felix, give Liam the keys," I ordered.

"Boss, we should fucking kill this animal," Felix growled, his dark eyes narrowing at the scrawny kid on the dirty floor. He tightened his hold on the rifle. "He was the one who shot Demetri. He should pay for what he did." He released the safeties, leveling the rifle at Matteo.

"And he will, brother," I said. "I promise. He'll suffer for what he did to Demetri." Felix had tears streaming down his cheeks. "Stand down, Felix. Give Liam the keys."

"Boss," he hissed. "I claim the rite of vengeance!"

"You'll get it, after we interrogate him. Please, Felix," I murmured calmly. With a roar, Felix pulled down the rifle and tossed the car keys to Liam. Liam quickly caught them and with Jasper's help, Matteo was cuffed and blindfolded. "Do you know where the safe house is in Joliet, Liam?"

"Yes, Boss," Liam nodded.

"Go there. We'll meet you there tomorrow," I said. "Use whatever force necessary to keep Matteo subdued, but he is not to be killed until we've had the opportunity to interrogate him."

"Understood, Boss," Liam said. Jasper helped him with the squirming, belligerent boy who had killed one of my best men.

When Matteo was gone, Felix faltered and I was there to catch him. I held him up. "I've got you, brother."

"Demetri was my brother," Felix whimpered. "And he's gone, Boss."

"Come on, Felix," I said. "Let me help you. Alice is going to fix you right up." We made our down the stairs. With a groan, I helped Felix into the backseat of the SUV. I saw another car drive away, heading toward I-55. Jacob and Jasper got into the SUV. Felix curled up, tears streaking down his face. I looked at Jasper. "Where's Demetri?"