Chapter fourteen

Depuis le début

"Many girls have care packages sent from home filled with their favorite snacks for use after hours when the cafeteria is closed."

Ms Daily took her down the corridor showing her various things but Stevie's mind was swimming.
"How many girls are here?" Jess asked

"We are almost at fifty girls. Of course some here aren't in Stephanie's situation as they have already given birth but we give the option to stay and finish school here after baby."
"Is there a nursery here, or are all the babies sent back home afterward?" Stevie asked, a hand falling to her bump. She was nervous, biting her lip in anticipation.
"There is a nursery but most girls choose to drop school when their baby is born. Any arrangement that you make privately are fine as well."
"We have arrangements" Jess said, following the woman through to the nursery. The facility looked so cold and it sent a shiver down her spine.
"What are the breaks for holidays like?" Stevie asked, already thinking about the next time she could go home.
"Well, it's up to the individual family. There are short breaks for all of the major holidays. Parents can come in and stay at one of the beautiful lodgings in town or students can choose to go home for vacation but must arrive back in time for classes to begin again." Ms Daily said with a warm smile.
"Okay..." Stevie replied quietly

"Do you have any questions before we get Stephanie all settled in?" The head mistress asked

"No..."

"Then I guess that's everything. Thank you for choosing our facility." Ms Daily led Stevie back to her room. Before going in, her parents hugged her.

"I guess this is goodbye" Stevie said  sadly.

"I'll get your brother, TeeDee, so he can say goodbye, too." Barbara told her daughter.

"Remember my presents for him."

"I will."

Jess stood awkwardly in the doorway, not ready to let go of his little girl, "Take care, Tee."

"I will. I'll call every night," she hugged her father tightly, holding back tears
"Talk soon, honey" Jess said, pulling back. Barbara came back with Christopher at her side and Stevie looked up, wiping the tears she had shed. "Be nice" Jess warned his son as he left the siblings alone.
"Hey nerd," Stevie said softly, looking down at her feet, "Im sorry about all of this."
"It doesn't matter"

"Yes it does, Chris." Stevie touched his shoulder and he looked at her. "I know I've made things hard for you but that was never my intention. I've been so wrapped up in the baby that I didn't realize what effect this might have on you."
"It's okay..."

"I'll miss you," Stevie replied softly, "I really am sorry, Chris. I hope that you can forgive me."
"Don't worry about it. I was really shitty to you too." Chris said.
"I forgive you. Let me say goodbye to Mom," Stevie hugged her brother tightly
Stevie hugged her mother, the tears so tried so hard to hold in, fell down her cheeks, soaking the fabric on the shoulder of her mother's dress . "I don't want you to go."
"I don't want to go either, Tee...but this is something that you have to do," wiping the tears from her daughter's eyes. "I love you!"
"I love you too, mommy" Stevie said, hugging her mother tightly again. When Barbara pulled away, Stevie didn't know what to do with herself. She would be alone for the first time in her life. She was scared.
"Call us when you get the chance," Barbara squeezed her hand tightly, "I'll give Lindsey a picture of the baby for you."
"I planned on sending it in my letter to him, but this might be even better. Thank you, mama." Barbara shut the door and she was alone. She walked toward her bed and sat down. "I guess it's just you and me, baby" Stevie spoke to her unborn child.
"Let's try to get some sleep,okay? Mama is tired..." Stevie laid back, it wasn't the most comfy bed in the world but it would do
She pulled up the blanket her mother had dropped at the foot of her bed from home and snuggled into it. "Hopefully tomorrow we can talk to daddy." she said wth a yawn before falling into a deep sleep.
Stevie was woken at six thirty sharp, frowning she momentarily forgot where she was
She sat up, rubbing her eyes, hoping it was all just a strange dream.