Chapter Sixteen: The Last Guardian

In the morning we crossed the border. The border spell washed over us and I looked down. I let out a sigh of slight relief. This time I was in the clothes we'd originally journeyed from Kalpana in. Castor let out a surprised noise. I turned and looked at him and my eyes widened. I felt a smile tug at my lips, threatening to let laughter loose from my throat. He was wearing what appeared to be a court jester's outfit, only a little more modernized. I placed my hand over my mouth, feeling my shoulders shake as I tried to halt the laughter. He gave me a seething look and glared down at his outfit.

"C-Castor..."I giggled. He looked back up at me with "don't you do it" written all over his face. "Don't jest." At that, Saros fell to the ground laughing, slamming his fist repeatedly on the ground.

"Ahahaha...don't....don't jest she says, I can't,"Saros wheezed. Anwyl made an equally annoyed noise, and I saw that he too was dressed like a jester. That's when I lost it. I doubled over in laughter, tears squeezing out of my eyes as I laughed hard. Castor sighed after about ten minutes of Saros and I dying.

"Have you had your fun?"Castor asked me. I wiped the tears from my face and managed to stand upright again, breathing. "It's not funny."

"Cas...I only laugh because I love you,"I told him, smiling. It was only after the words came out that I realized what I'd just said. Instantly my cheeks rose up with heat, turning red at the same time that Castor's did. His eyes widened. I jerked my gaze away and over to Erembour. "L-Lead the way, please." Erembour and the others were staring at me with eyes as wide as Castor's had been, and Erembour slowly nodded. He lead the way, glancing back at me several times as I followed. I just told Castor I love him....that is AWKWARD. Oh god. He didn't say it back, but maybe that's because I shocked him? I mean....I do love him but....wait, he can hear my thoughts. FUCK.

I sighed hard, and felt someone catch up to walking beside me. I glanced over and saw Llyr.

"So you love Castor?"Llyr asked. I felt my cheeks inflame and didn't answer. He cast a side glance at me, grinning. For a duration of the walk, we were all silent. After a while Anwyl stopped in his tracks. We all stopped and gazed at him.

"Anwyl, what is it?"I asked. He held his hand up and pointed to the right of us. He stayed silent for a bit and then his eyes widened.

"They're looking for you, Princess. You, Saros, and the Spoiled Prince,"Anwyl told us. My eyes widened. Castor shot me a look. "We need to go left..."

"If we go left, we stray from the path,"Erembour declared. I sighed and put my fingers around my chin in thought. They'll look to me for a decision, I know that. We need to stay to the right, and follow Erembour but there are soldiers looking for us. If only I could change my appearance... I sighed and wrinkled my eyebrows. After a moment of staring at the gravel path before me, I looked up.

"Is there a way to use your shadows to conceal myself, Castor and Saros?"I asked Erembour. He blinked in surprise.

"I haven't ever tried..."He replied. He moved close to me and went to move his arm and do something, but Castor grabbed his arm, stopping him. Erembour looked at Castor in confusion.

"If something goes wrong, and you conceal her, how do you know we'll be able to UNconceal her?"Castor asked. Erembour immediately lowered his arm.

"He's right,"Erembour murmured, in deep thought. I glanced at Saros, who seemed to be staring at the ground in thought as well. He suddenly lifted his head.

"So try it on me,"he immediately requested. My eyes widened.

"What? Saros, no!"I protested. Castor shook his head.