Chapter Fourteen: Dealing

While we journeyed through the Dark Forest, I began to feel that we were going in circles. Everything looked the same as things I'd already seen. Eventually I noticed I had to be right....there were logs in the exact same spots. Trees were exactly the same size and shape as some I'd already seen. And in all of this realization, there was still the same eerie feeling we were being watched. I stopped in my tracks.

"Guys,"I called. The others, who had walked a little bit farther in front of me, turned around and gazed at me, interested in what I had to say. "We're going in circles." Erembour gave me a perplexed look, disbelieving what I had just revealed to them. I pointed beside me. "This log. I've seen it in the exact same spot fifteen times. We're either being played with or we're lost." Castor crossed his arms and walked over to me, standing and gazing at the log I'd pointed at.

"You're right....maybe we should have a way to mark down where we've already been,"Castor agreed. Erembour walked over and reached for the cloth over the blade of his spear. He tugged it off. "What are you doing?"

"Simple. I'm marking where we've been,"Erembour replied. He took the spear and chipped off most of the bark on the log. "Keep moving. We need to leave this place, I don't want Princess Isla here longer than she has to be." I frowned.

"I'm not a child,"I muttered, annoyed. We walked some more, Erembour marking our way by chipping off bark and changing our surroundings little by little. Eventually we passed the log from before. I stopped again.

"Alright. We're in a loop,"I called to everyone. They turned around and walked back to me. I kicked the log, grinding my teeth. "Dammit, we don't have time for this! Someone's been watching us and messing with us!" I turned around and looked out. "Whoever the hell you are, just come out! I'm sick of your games!" I heard a chuckle at my response, sounding from behind me. My group all turned. We saw a man standing there. He had the oddest colored skin, a shade of white that couldn't be natural, and he wore what appeared to be nineteenth century style clothes with a red colored cloak on his shoulders. His hair was short and black, and he looked to be about twenty six. He chuckled at our puzzled and fearful expressions.

"There's no need to shout out like that, child,"he laughed. I frowned and narrowed my eyes.

"Who are you?"I demanded. He bowed at the waist, the cloak he was wearing sweeping over his shoulders and brushing against the blackened leaves on the ground.

"Rumplestiltskin!"He replied. He rolled the 'r' of his name off his tongue, his voice mocking but at the same time speaking like he was a game show host. "At your service." I crossed my arms. He righted himself and his mouth turned up into a wide grin, almost reminding me of a snake. "And you...." He seemed to pace as he spoke. He pointed at me. "Are Isla Ange." I narrowed my eyes. Erembour protectively stepped in front of me, his arm moving slightly in front of me.

"Let us leave, Rumplestiltskin. We don't have anything you want. We are on a mission to-"Erembour started. Rumplestiltskin rolled his eyes and waved his hand, cutting Erembour off.

"Yes, yes, a mission to stop Prince Aerglo of Kalpana,"Rumplestiltskin interrupted. He grinned and stopped, crossing his arms as he gazed at us. "I know all about that." I stared at him. "You're wrong, that is, about not having something I want. You do indeed have what I want." I grabbed Castor's arm and held tightly. Fear from this guy that stood in front of us was latching onto my heart. Castor glanced at me and then back at the strange man in front of us.

"And what could that be?"Anwyl queried. I noticed his hand clenched into a fist by his side. Rumplestiltskin chuckled lightly.

"Oh relax, boy, relax. I do not wish to capture dear Isla. In fact,"Rumplestiltskin spoke. He disappeared and reappeared, right in front of me. Castor jumped back, moving to jerk me away from the man, but Rumplestiltskin reached out and grabbed my chin. "I wish to make a deal with her." His skin was abnormally cold to the touch and sent shivers through me. I was frozen, unable to move. Rumplestiltskin grinned. "My, my, you have the most beautiful green eyes. Almost the same shade as mine." At this his eyes flashed. In a quick movement, Castor knocked Rumplestiltskin's hand from my face, glaring at him fiercely.