Chapter Five: Ball

When it was officially time for the ball to start, I noticed there were actually a bunch of people down in the ballroom. Well, I heard them. We were standing up in a big enclosed hallway, awaiting the moment when we would walk through the big huge doors, and down the large staircase I'd been told about. Neither the King nor any of the Princes(save for Saros)glanced my way. I knew they were supposed to keep up appearances, none of the castle attendants knew I was the Thousand Years Mermaid, so in order to keep that a big reveal, the King and his Sons were acting as if I wasn't there. Well I knew that much for the King, his first son, and his third son, but his second son was just being an ass. That was obvious. That was ok though, in the end I don't need his approval for anything. Once he finds out his father already accepted me as his match, Castor won't be able to do anything about it.

The announcer called the entire ballroom to silence. I heard his voice ringing out.

"His Royal Highness, King Leo of Kalpana!"the announcer called out. I watched as the King lead his first Concubine(Geo's match)down the stairs. "Accompanied by the First Royal Concubine, Cecilia Ange." Everyone clapped. When it died down the announcer continued. "The First Prince, Aerglo of Kalpana." I watched as the Prince made his way alone down the stairs. "The Second Prince, Castor of Kalpana." Castor moved swiftly. I caught a small glance from him, but I figured it was just a slip-up. He didn't act on anything and kept moving. "The Third Prince, Saros of Kalpana!" Saros moved forward nervously, casting a glance at me. I gave him a thumbs up and a big smile, which he returned with a nervous grin. He moved down the stairs. Geo directed me to the top and I immediately felt anxiety bubbling up inside of me. He squeezed me gently.

"Geo, I might trip or throw up. Watch out,"I whispered. He stifled his laughter by pinching his lips together hard, forming a straight line.

"Chin up,"he whispered. I stood up straight.

"Tonight we have a special guest! Isla Ange! Princess of the Ange Clan, and the famous Thousand Years Mermaid!"the announcer called. Geo slowly lead me down. I picked my dress up a little, earning surprised glances at my bare, jewel adjourned feet. I carefully stepped down to each step as I walked. "Accompanied by her dear uncle, Geo Ange, First Counselor on the Royal Court." I swept my gaze across the audience, and froze when I saw Castor staring at me. His eyes were wide, and in them I thought I detected.....longing? That's weird. He jerked his eyes away, his cheeks suddenly turning a bright red color. Now he's blushing? The hell is that about? We made it off the stairs and were greeted with The King and the three Princes. King Leo gave me a wide grin.

"You made it, my dear Isla. Scared to trip?"He asked. I gave him a nervous laugh.

"Yes sir, I was indeed scared. I had no idea a staircase could be so long,"I replied. He laughed loudly. Everyone around us had begun talking, and music had started up. I recognized the first song as just a classical instrument cover of something I actually liked. Castor was really staring at me, I felt his gaze on me as I talked with his father. It made me very self conscious, and I was resisting the urge to squirm. Soon, the first prince stepped in, gently taking my hand and bowing his head to kiss across my knuckles gently.

"My my, if I hadn't already met the fairest of them all I'd say it was you,"Prince Aerglo joked. I blushed and smiled at him. I noticed his interesting eye color, how both had strange blue spots in them along with the gold. They seemed....like an icy cold shade, and that they could spread out and freeze the gold over at any minute.

"Why thank you. Your brother seems fit to insult me quite the opposite,"I replied. Castor jerked back from his spot and glared at me. Haha, didn't think I'd throw you under the bus, did you? He fumed and started to open his mouth to say something. The King shot Castor a look and sighed, shaking his head.