Protective Brother - Part 2

We walk from school to Shawn's place hand in hand, Shawn swinging our entwined hands occasionally.

He unlocks the door and lets me through first. "Do you think you can help me with the last bit of Bio work Shan? I never understand what..."

His voice fades into silence as we enter the house and there's a new voice drifting through the living room.

"... man, I gotta learn all these old quotes for the exam?"

We turn around the corner and see a tall figure wearing a hoodie and snapback sat close to Aaliyah, who's clearly trying to steer away from his sly arms which keep stretching.

Shawn clears his throat and they both turn their heads around.

"Oh hey Shawn!" Aaliyah says, with a hint of mischief in her voice. "This is Sam from my English class. The one I'm tutoring?"

"I can see," Shawn says through gritted teeth. "How's it going Sam? Aaliyah's great isn't she? Shame she's not allowed to have boyfriends-"

"Shawn!" Aaliyah moans.

I tug on Shawn's sleeve to signal for us to leave them as we enter the kitchen. Shawn looks through the fridge and brings two yoghurt drinks, one for each of us before pulling himself onto a chair. We turn our heads as we hear laughter.

"Let me just-"

"No," I say sternly. "Stop interfering. I didn't say this earlier, but he actually reminds me of a young Shawn."

I watch him laugh and sip his drink. "You're kidding right?"

I shake my head. "That's how you acted when I tutored you for Bio." I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his body as he gets off his chair. "It's a shame you never picked anything up from those lessons."

He smirks at me, stroking my cheek with his thumb. "Sure I did. I picked you up, didn't I?"

   I snuggle next to Shawn as we watch another Harry Potter film and hear the front door click shut. Aaliyah walks into the living room, her face filled with rage.

"Shawn! Could you have not made it anymore obvious earlier?" She pulls a face and mimmicks Shawn's voice. "Oh she's great, but she can't have boyfriends boohoo. Your efforts to put Sam off are so lame and embarrassing. And for the record, he has a girlfriend. So can you please act normal when he comes home tomorrow?"

Shawn sits up and looks at Aaliyah. "Tomorrow? You didn't say anything about him coming tomorrow-"

"His name is Sam! And how else is he supposed to learn from one lesson? It's a daily session until Christmas and then you can relax-"

"I'm not relaxing until you stop bringing guys home-"

"Shawn! You make it sound like a freaking hobby. This is the first and only time a boy will come around." Aaliyah's face lights up, her lips turning up slightly into a smirk. "Of course, when I actually do get a boyfriend-"

"Enough! You know what, do what you want. I don't care," Shawn huffs.

Aaliyah pretends to act shocked, cupping a hand over her ear. "I'm sorry what? I didn't hear properly-"

"I said," Shawn emphasises, "I don't care. Do what you want."

I watch Aaliyah cackle with laughter as she runs off upstairs.

"I know you just said that to-"

"To stop her talking? Yeah, I know." Shawn sighs and gently rubs my thigh as we continue watching the film.

"I think you're still being harsh on her, maybe a little overprotective?"

"I'm just looking out for her-"

"Remember a few years back when my dad tried to keep you away from me?"

"But that's different-"
"No it's not!" I chuckle as I think back to the pre-teen Shawn who was shy, yet so persistent until he got something he wanted. "You were so weird and Dad thought you were just acting dumb to spend time with me." I laugh again as I look over at him. I pinch his cheek lightly and kiss the same spot quickly. "You're still weird now, but you're my weird person. I love you Shawn."

"I love you too Shan."