Prom - finale (Shawn's POV)

Imagine:

Imagine:

I must find her. Where would she go... the courtyard! It's the only place I haven't looked and it must be where she's gone since no one will be around. My heart beats inside as Y/n continues to text me. God, I feel so bad for her. Sam went off with another girl from our year, someone Y/n loathes, and it didn't end well. Maybe this could be the chance to save her, to call her mine. If I don't do it now, I never will. I see her hunched over on the bench, her back towards me. I lean myself against a tree and make sure I have her corsage inside the pocket of my jacket.

Turn around, I message her. I slip my phone in my pocket and hear my own heartbeat, deafening me.

She turns slowly and wipes her face. Man, she's been hurt so bad. I'd never do that to you, I think to myself.

Time seems to stand still as I watch in awe Y/n walking towards me. Her perfect figure is dressed in the champagne coloured dress that flows down to the ground, making it seem like she's gliding across the floor. I must've been staring too hard because she blushes, so I straighten my face.

"I know this is gonna sound childish," Y/n says, "but you standing there reminds me of High School Musical 3 where-"

"Troy meets Gabriella again," I cut in. I grin and take out the corsage I spent days looking for to apologise to her. The carnations are her favourite flowers in her favourite colour, and the golden roses match her dress perfectly. I lift Y/n's hand gently and slip it on her wrist. I watch her admire it.

"A perfect fit," I whisper. "Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight Y/n?"

She nods her head and closes the gap between us to straighten my tie. "You look handsome," she says.

I'm pretty sure she just referenced the scene, but I don't say anything. Man, I'm such a geek.

"Thanks, but look at you," I say quietly. I can't stop staring at Y/n, I really can't. She looks amazing. "You always take my breath away, but tonight you look really stunning."

Her face falls a little. "Not even Sam complimented me," she says sadly.

I shake my head. What a dick. "Forget him. Let's start over, from after we ate our meals."

I smile down at her, her face glowing from the lanterns that hang around the courtyard.

"Can I have this dance?" I ask, offering my hand to her.

She giggles and accepts my offer. I look over in the corner behind a pillar and Megan plays the reprise version of 'Can I have this dance' and begin to sing the first few lines to Y/n.

"Take my hand, I'll take the lead..." I pull her close to me, our faces so close I can see past the sadness in her eyes to real happiness. "And every turn, will be safe with me..." I raise her hand above her and twirl her around. She looks like a ballerina. Her hair is twisted into beautiful braids that sit like a crown on her head and a smile is spread across her face like she's in love.

I hold Y/n close to me, my hands resting gently at her waist, where they should be. Her arms reach up to my neck and rest loosely by the collar.

"Don't be afraid, afraid to fall// You know I'll catch you through it all..." I finish my part and let the music continue to play in the background as we start to slow dance. Tell her, tell her now, I think to myself. I hesitate, but then I relax as I see her bright eyes staring up at me. I smile.

"Since the day I met you Y/n, I knew you were the one for me. Day after day, I loved hanging out with you, and I was falling in love with you too. Your pretty eyes, how your hair flies in the wind, your laugh. And your smile. Your beautiful god damn smile."

I pinch her cheek lightly, and manage to make her smile, her cheeks blushing. "I only wanted you and no one else. So when Sam and other guys started talking to you, I got jealous, but I also knew they weren't good enough for you like I was. Which is why I tried to convince you. I mean, most of the time I was right." I chuckle, thinking of the many times she's made the same mistakes.

"I've waited so long to tell you this Y/n. I love you."

"Why did you wait so long to tell me?"

I sigh and tell her the truth. "I was afraid. I've always been afraid to tell you how I feel, and I got scared that you wouldn't take me if I asked you."

"Are you afraid to ask me now?"

I look down and blush. Did Y/n just ask me that question? She lifts my head up with her hand and whispers, "Ask me."

I clear my throat and take a deep breath. "Y/n, will you be mine?"

She smiles. "I thought you'd never ask, I'd love to."

I smile so hard that my cheeks hurt from it. I take her hand in one of mine and spin her around again repeatedly. She laughs as her gown flies around beneath her in ripples. I stop and catch her in my arms and she carries on laughing.

"Woah, careful there," I say. I help Y/n up and hold her close to me as we walk over to the water fountain, and sit on the edge. Y/n sits close to me, and I catch her shiver a little so I take my jacket off. I place it around her shoulders. I look up to the sky and Y/n leans her head on my shoulder. I check my watch.

"11:11, make a wish." I say, keeping to the tradition we always did, and will still do. I instantly close my eyes and make a wish. I wish for Y/n to be mine forever, I say quietly. I open my eyes slowly and Y/n is watching me. Did I take too long? I smile as her face peers up at me.

"What did you wish for?" she asks.

I smirk and tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "It won't come true if I tell."

She smiles and her gaze drifts to my lips for a split second, my own eyes gazing to her lips too. "Okay, but I think mine is coming true," she whispers.

I lean forward and hold her face gently in my hands. I close my eyes and my lips find hers quickly. Everything becomes still and all I can feel is Y/n pressed against me and her lips on mine. The kiss was long and loving, and I've been waiting for so long to do that. To show Y/n I care for her. I pull away and smile, immediately wanting to kiss her again and protect her. Y/n places her hand in mine and rests her head on my shoulder again.

  "Tonight was wonderful... the last part with you," she whispers.
I smile at how perfectly it has ended. "I'm happy to have you back Y/n, and even happier that you're mine."

Y/n squeezes my hand and I realise that my wish has come true.