Chapter 5: Friend

A/N: Heyo guys!
Long time no see right? I'm so sorry for it! 🥺
I hope you remember this story. If not, then rewind it a Lil. Please.
Enjoy it! Baaki ka at the end! 😁

___

You haunt the forgotten parts of us that linger in my soul

-Angie Weiland, Crosby

____

I woke up from my sleep yet again. But this time rather than feeling scared, I was coughing- gasping for air. Both my hands were around my neck, feeling like something was choking me. Looking at my side I found Kaira sleeping peacefully and clock flashing the time: quarter to three. Licking my dry lips I got out from the bed and stood leaning on the window. The clear dark sky studded with twinkling stars. Inhaling the chilly fresh air I closed my eyes to calm myself.

Do people really become stars after they die?

Opening my eyes again and seeing the same view I wondered-

What happen to us after we die? What happened to the person who died because of us? Did he find peace? Did he become a star?

My eyes were scanning the sky as if I'm going to find the soul that lost its body because of our recklessness.

"I'm sorry." I whispered quietly, "I'm sorry that you had to lose your life because of me and my sister. I wish that I knew more about you, than only knowing that you were drunk. Were you celebrating your happiness? Or you were drowning in your sadness? I wish I knew."

No one talks about that incident except for when they have to make me remember something that I didn't forget for a single moment. I wasn't allowed to see the victim. Few visits to Police Station happened- but nothing more than that. Were his family informed? Did they get the closure? Or our family's influence halted every legal investigation? Should I look back at it after all these months?

Sitting on the window ledge I kept looking at the sky and the dark silhouette of the tress around, I shifted my gaze to my sister. Do these thoughts ever cross her mind? Her life didn't change but became better after that; while mine just crumpled down. Does she never feel guilty or just pretend not to?

"How did I become the bad person in everyone's life? How do my emotions are always misread? Why?"

"Yaar Kiara.." my sister mumbled in that sleepy state, shifting her weight to her elbows and lifting her upper body a little, "will you stop with your monologue and main character energy that you are not. I'm trying to sleep man!"

"I'm sorry. I just couldn't sleep.."

"Well, sister, that doesn't mean that you won't let me sleep! And what were you saying?" She sat squarely, "do I feel guilty for what happened? Then hear it now, Kia: I don't. I don't feel guilty for what happened! That drunkard deserved what happened to him. He was a sadist who made his family's life hell! They must be grateful for what happened"

I walked towards her with quick steps, "how do you know all these?"

"When you were lying on the bed, recovering from the wounds you called upon yourself. I was searching for the closure."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I sat on the edge of the bed, "wa- why didn't you tell me this before, Kaira?" There was an urgency and hurt in my voice. Only if my sister could feel it. "You knew how guilty I was for what happened. Why didn't you shared it with me?" I reached out to held her hand but she quickly brought her hands to her face and travelled to her hair, as she let out a muffled groan, "urgh.. Kiaaa! Why are you such a crybaby for everything? What was there to share? The case was closed. The family got some help from us. Everyone was happy-"