Chapter 48

Michael's POV
I blinked, slowly, and looked around. What was going on?

Why was I on the ground?

Jay was on top of me, and I pushed him off so I could stand up.

"What happened, dude?" He asked as he sat up, rubbing his head.

"I dunno. How long have we been out?" He asked.

Everyone was on the ground in the aisle. And the power had come back on.

The intercom made a sound and soon a voice came on.

"Um, good evening. We're not really sure what happened, someone released a vapor that causes people to pass out.... And they messed with the generator and turned off the electricity. But we don't know why or why. You all have only been out a few minutes, and we ask that you please evacuate the store immediately so we can figure this out. Thank you."

Click.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

"Let's find the girls," Drew said, who'd been a few yards down the aisle from us.

I nodded. "Yeah. So much for our contest."

I pulled out my phone to call Maddie.

It rang and rang.

No answer.

What if.... No.

What if she was kidnapped? What if someone was messaging her, which is why she was being so jumpy, and they kidnapped her tonight?

Maybe I was jumping to conclusions.

Maybe I wasn't.

I took off running.

"Jay! Help me find Maddie!"

Maddie's POV
I sighed. This getting kidnapped thing was getting really old. I should get a bodyguard.

I looked around. I was in.. a storage room?

Where?

In Walmart? But why?

I looked up and realized none other than Andrew Butcher stood in front of me.

"You?!" I blurted out.

He smiled. "Don't worry Maddie. I'm not gonna hurt you."

"You're not?" I asked.

He shook his head, and sat on a cardboard box next to me. Too close for comfort.

"No. I'm a huge fan... and I want you to.. write a song about me!!! And post it on your channel," he said, smiling at me.

"Seriously? You kidnapped me just for that??? Why?!" I asked.

"Cause I know that stupid boyfriend of yours is the only boy you'll write songs about."

I couldn't help but snicker. This reminded me of that one Austin and Ally episode—a Disney channel show I watched as a kid— when Austin got kidnapped by a stalker girl who was obsessed with him and it was just cause she wanted him to write a song about her.

I looked around the room.

"Um, I can't write one without a piano or guitar," I said, hoping that would stall.

He looked around, then his eyes lit up. "Here!" He said, grabbing an electric keyboard off a shelf and handing it to me.

I groaned. "Look- Andrew, you seem really nice-"

"If you don't write it, I'll make sure something happens to that no good boyfriend of yours," he said.
I rubbed my temples and gritted my teeth.