Chapter 9

Soon, the gang was riding up the hill right at the break of day. Cynthia and the twins had stayed down in Whoville to explain the situation to the Whos once they woke up. 

"It's all you, Maxie!" The Grinch called out to his dog as he was upfront pulling the extremely heavy load on the sleigh.

Ten thousand feet up the side of Mount Crumpit... he rode with his load to the tiptop to dump it.

"Do you think Cynthia and the twins got things handled down there?" David asked Kali and Teeders, out of breath.

The girls just looked to him while poor Max finally came up to the very tippy top of Mount Crumpit and finally got a rest. 

"WE DID IT!" The Grinch shouted out in victory, then clapped his hands like a little child. "We did it! We did it!"

"I can't believe it..." Teeders was in complete shock. "We actually stole Christmas" 

"They'll be waking up now" The Grinch grinned evilly while the remaining adventure kids looked at him. "And I know just what they'll do. All those Whos down in Whoville will all... cry"  

Down in Whoville, the Whos did cry at first as their Xmas spirits were ruined by the Grinch's trickery. The Mayor, obviously being his selfish self blamed Cindy Lou for the whole thing by inciting the Grinch. Cynthia and the twins glared fiercely at the mayor, about to have at him until surprisingly, Cindy's dad Lou Who stood up and defended his daughter. This surprised the rest of the crowd. 

Lou was glad that the Grinch took away their presents and everything, telling the Mayor you can't hurt Christmas, because it's not all about the presents or the contests or the lights, even the food. It's about being together with your loved ones and helping each other out. And that's what Cindy Lou and her new friends had been trying to tell everyone. 

"Merry Christmas, everybody! Merry Christmas!" All the Whos cheered and were happy, much to the Mayor's displeasure. 

Cynthia and the twins smiled with Cindy Lou, glad that everyone was finally seeing the true meaning of Christmas. They soon went back up to Mount Crumpit through the garbage shoot to tell the others that their plan had worked. 

"Mr. Grinch?" Cindy called out, looking up to see the sleigh on top of the mountain. "Mr. Grinch?"

Back on the top with the Grinch and the other kids~

"Now for the final note in my symphony of downright nasty not-niceness!" The heartless green creature snickered fiendishly while the kids glanced at each other and watched him. "It'll be like music to my ears!"

Then the Grinch heard a sound rising over the snow. It started in low, then it started to grow. But the sound wasn't sad. Why, this sounded merry. But it was merry. Very. 

Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small... were singing without any presents at all. He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming. It came. 

"Somehow or other, it came just the same!" The Grinch complained, while the kids came up to his side.  

And the Grinch, with his Grinch feet ice-cold in the snow... stood puzzling and puzzling.

"How could it be so?" The Grinch puzzled, turning to his dog and the adventure kids. "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes or bags!"

And he puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. 

"Maybe... Christmas..." He thought. "...Doesn't come from a store"