Chapter 4

The next morning, when the gang was just getting ready for the day, Cindy stopped by and invited them to help her learn about the Grinch's history by asking the Who citizens who knew him best. 

The twins went with Cindy to talk to two elderly sisters, who were the Grinch's original caretakers. David and Teeders went to talk with Martha May, who know the Grinch back when she was just a little girl in school. And Kali and Cynthia went to talk to the mayor, who also knew the Grinch back in his school days. 

"Aw, why do we have to talk to that blundering mayor?" Cynthia pouted. "He's mean!" 

"Would you rather talk to the prim, prissy, miss perfect Martha May?" Kali taunted her rich friend in a teasing tone, knowing how Cynthia felt around people like that. 

"The mayor it is!" Cynthia quickly changed her mind. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The twins and Cindy soon arrived to talk to the Grinch's caretakers with a tape recorder.  

"In your own words, please tell us everything you know about the Grinch" Cindy got everything ready as they sat down.  

"Where did he come from?" Ann started with the first question. 

"Oh boy, I feel a flashback coming on" Brock told himself.  

Clarnella and Rose Who explained that the Grinch came the way all Who babies come. The flashback was starting. 

"Oh, there. See? See! I told you so!" Brock stared into the fourth-wall as the flashback had started.   

On calm nights, baby Who girls and tiny Who fellas, drift from the sky in their own pumbersellas. 

"Oh, so that's how it works" Cindy realized.

"So... like Mr Stork?" Brock questioned.   

"I wish human babies came that way" Ann said, since their culture was WAY different. 

"Huh?" Cindy turned to Ann with a raised eyebrow.  

"Nothing!" Ann quickly replied, darting her eyes away.  

The flashback continued as the twins saw a baby Grinch floating through the sky in his pumbersella before landing just outside a house. It was Christmas Eve, and a strange wind blew that night. Clarnella and Rose were having their annual holiday get-together. It was morning before anyone realized that he was out there, the poor dear. 

"But, we knew right away that he was special" Clarnella told the kids.  

The twins continued seeing more flashbacks of the baby Grinch, even one where he ate the Santa cookie plate, although they weren't surprised by that.  

"He was a wonderful.... whatever he was" Clarnella continued. "And we raised him like any other Who child: With a deep love of Christmas"

The twins kept seeing more flashbacks of the Grinch now in grade school with a classroom filled with regular Who students while he was the only different one. 

Meanwhile~ 

Teeders and David had stopped at Martha May's house to talk to her on what she knew about the Grinch. 

"The.... Grinch?..." Martha began.  

"He had no sense of color coordination" She explained.  

"Although I hardly remember him. I didn't have time to socialize. I was far too busy with my... studies" 

Although Teeders and David could see what was really going on since they had the power to see flashbacks.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~