Chapter 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Elsa! Elsa!"

A voice broke into the bubble of my swirling thoughts. My eyes shot open and I quickly sat up, wincing as my head pulsed with pain.

"Are you ok?" Trix was crouching in front of me, looking worried. Her shiny black hair glinted with tiny shards of glass, and her face bore a few thin scratches.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I glanced around and saw Mum kneeling beside June, who lay breathing heavily on the ground. Her eyes were half open and she was nodding at what Mum was saying.

Mum crawled over to me cupped my face in her hands. "Look at you," she said sadly, her forehead creased. Though I could tell she was in much more agony than me. One of her high cheekbones had a deep gash and her lip had several cuts. Her dark hair, which sparkled like Trix's with glass, had fallen loose and messy from it's neatly tied ponytail. Her clothes were torn and smudged with dirt and blood, but she still hadn't bothered to deal with herself before any of us.

"I'm alright, really," I croaked, quickly clearing my voice. "But you need some care, in my opinion." Trix made an agreeing sound and said, "she's right, Mrs Blake. We need to get you and June to a medical centre fast."

"Are you going to call the police and ambulance?" I asked, thinking it was strange that they hadn't come already.

"How can I?" she replied, and gestured at the big jagged block of ice in front of the car. "I can't explain how my fourteen year old daughter happened to create that thing in the middle of a road."

"Fifteen," Trix and I said automatically in unison.

Then I saw the front of the car. It had been jammed into the ice, and the metal had crinkled up like skin under water.

Whoops...

"Sorry about the car," I said, cringing. Mum waved it away.

"At least we are all alive." Then she hurried back to June with a damp handkerchief (which I didn't even know still existed) and began to wipe her face clean.

"Are you ok?" I asked Trix, feeling bad I hadn't acknowledged about her health before. She smiled sadly.

"Never been better." Then we quietly just stared at each other for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry."

"Stop apologising for everything!" Trix groaned, then helped me up. "And anyway, time to see who's behind that graceful sculpture."

I grinned and even managed a chuckle. The ice block was probably the ugliest thing I'd ever made. And I know that in the tense situation, I wasn't thinking about it winning a beauty contest, but what surprised us all is that...well...ice just can't look bad, and I had made it look horrible.

"I was just joking," Trix said, punching my arm with a friendly grin. "You're still the best ice sculptor I know."

"I'm the only ice sculptor you know," I said with a smile, then asked, "hasn't Mum seen if the person is ok yet?"

Trix shook her head. "Nah. She said she'd rather not in case she doesn't like what she sees." I nodded. Mum had always been super sensitive around injured people, and if she saw the girl...well...gulp...dead, then she'd probably faint.

I bit my lip. We were standing on either side of the giant ice block. Trix looked at me. I nodded.

"What's the worse that can happen?" I muttered to myself. "She'll be a stranger we don't know. She's alive, cause I can hear breathing; strained breathing, but yeah...we can pay for a hospital fee...then we can forget about her, forget this ever happened..." I stepped around the ice wall.

I heard Trix gasp and my eyes slid to the girl curled up on the floor.

"B-B-Brea?"

Oh, no.

Oh, God.

----

Trix in the picture? Yes or no? Trix usually ties her hair up in a high ponytail though so just imagine her like that

XD I make you guys do a lot of imagining!