The Shadow

Lost Boy Rule: Pan's Shadow is united with, but independent from Peter. This happened by accident in the nursery of Wendy, Michael ,and John because of Nana, the dog.  It detached itself again on purpose when Peter discovered how useful the Shadow was when separate from himself. The shadow has the ability to be both solid and gas depending on the need at the time. 

Lizzy jumped and turned quickly striking out at nothing, yet the pressure of a heavy hand remained. She grasped at the invisible hand to throw it off her shoulders. There was nothing there. Panicking she pulled away into the light. Then she saw it, Peter's Shadow, mostly invisible under the deeper darkness of the boulders. 

It yanked her back into the shelter of the shadows quickly. She supposed it must be annoyed with her, because it switched from her shoulder to her elbow and began dragging her urgently back the way she had come. Rock by rock. Lizzy was about to protest when she heard footsteps following them. She turned a quick peek, but instead of seeing Peter and Jack she saw pirates that had escaped the fray with the creature she had set upon them. 

Worse still, they had seen her and were on her trail. She heard their shouts of triumph as they sounded the alarm. She had become the renard in this fox hunt. She was not about to be caught and used for a pretty red-ruffed stole, or as advancement in a political struggle.

Suddenly the Shadow was being pulled instead of doing the pulling. Lizzy ran, not caring if she was seen or not. The green barrier was up ahead and she ran straight for it.  The Shadow, realizing what she was up to yanked desperately on her arm but it was too late, her forward momentum drove them into the green translucence .  Shielding Tinkerbell, they crashed into the barrier. 

BANG! The sound of their impact was deafening. Instead of bouncing back, like she half expected, She blasted through leaving behind the shattered opening in the barrier.  If Hook had been unaware that she was in the area, he was now. She half laughed in disbelief at how absurdly simple that was and was just about to congratulate herself when the shards of the green stuff that had landed on her began to glow and burn. Panicing, she furiously swatted at the shards dislodging them. The shadow helped but in their place were scorched clothes,  angry scalds and blisters of her burnt flesh. Miraculously, none of the shards had landed on Tinkerbell.

The shadow shook its head at her and began to drag her again. Lizzy was beginning to register the pain and ran as she could in tow of the shadow. 

______________________From their hiding spot--------------------------------------

The Horrendous had attacked the crew with devastating effect.  Jack and Peter had been under it in the maze and more than once, a cannon ball had gotten dangerously close. The reprieve allowed Peter to communicate with his Shadow to get Lizzy to a safer spot, preferably one higher up the slope,and keep her out of trouble until the dragon fire glass had burned out. How Hook had gotten his hands on that nasty trap, Peter could only guess. His shadow saluted and vanished into the maze. 

Jack hit Peter on the shoulder and pointed to the mouth of the maze, there was Lizzy and TINK! Peter grinned in spite of himself, his heart so joyful and proud that he could hardly contain himself he also cursed the keen eyesight and stealth that lured Lizzy over into this death trap.  Jack had to put a cautioning hand over his mouth. Peter was liable to crow and give them away. That was when Peter's shadow scared the life out of Lizzy.  

They watched the whole feisty interlude as she figured out it was Peter's shadow and both boys had to cover their mouths to keep from laughing. Their mirth did not last long, for pirates appeared on the scene and they had spotted Lizzy. 

Peter and Jack crept after the pirates chasing the girl,  intending to intervene if they laid a had on Lizzy but she had no intention of being caught. Jack and Peter saw her realize that she had been spotted and dash away as fast as her legs could carry her. The pirates, stealth blown, began to shout and pursue in earnest. Their actions caught the attention of both their captain and the Horrendous who broke away from the main attack in pursuit of easier fodder.  Hook  sent up a shout and also dashed in the direction of his men and a quickly retreating Lizzy. 

Peter and Jack watched the scene unfold and, seized with a sudden dread, Peter took flight and zipped through the maze of rocks to catch up to her, disregarding both Pirates and monster

The impact of Lizzy's bursting through the barrier tossed Peter backwards tumbling through the air. The pirates pursuing below were buffeted down the mountain like dry leaves. Even the horrendous recoiled.  When Peter righted himself,  his mouth dropped open in horror and disbelief. That insane girl had just run through green dragon fire glass, and had lived. Jack flew up beside him. 

"Can you see her? Is she alive?" Jack demanded. Peter squinted and saw her form still running seemingly unfazed. 

"Well, I never have seen the like." Peter exclaimed with amazed laughter , " The crazy girl is still running!"

Jack shot him a disbelieving look then peered himself in through the shattered opening. "you've got to catch her Peter. You know better than I do what will happen if those burns aren't treated as soon as possible." 

His sobering words hit Peter like cold water. Jolted to the severity of the situation, Jack Frost and Peter Pan flew headlong through the opening left and after the Faerie girl and her precious cargo.  

The Pirates divided forces; part to pursue their quarry, and the rest to act as a rear guard and fend off the Horrendous. 

Hook, of course led the pursuit cursing the uselessness of Dragon Fire and reckless half faeries. It was pointless to track Peter when he was in the air flying, but the little minx had left a clear and bumbling trail for them to follow into the night under the  silver leaves of the Faerie forest.