Queen Ariel of the Golden Grotto

Lost Boy Rule: Never trust a Merperson. They rarely tell the whole truth and always have their own agenda. They are only loyal to themselves and the sea for they have to answer to the Deep Ones. 

Shell in place, the Merman tied Lizzy's hands together.Once done, the Merpeople -- for there was a man and a maid -- dragged Lizzy through the water. The three headed strait towards an open cavern deep in the center of the pool. Lizzy screamed, terrified of the murky darkness and her predicament. 

Instead of being a black abyss, the underwater cave proved to be a tunnel which was illuminated by glowing shells. Lizzy saw as they blazed by many other openings and even some dead ends. She did not know it, but only the Merfolk of Golden Grotto knew the secret winding water-tunnels that connected all the waters of Neverland. 

Lizzy tried not to panic, she had always been claustrophobic and the dark narrow caves were her idea of the torture pits of hell. Just as she was beginning to squirm, they reached open ocean. Her ears popped mercilessly with the sudden dive they took . 

Out of the gloom Lizzy could start to make out something that they were approaching. As visibility improved, she could make out a  beautiful structure of gold glinting in the water. 

It was an underwater palace. 

Lizzy found herself being rushed through open-water halls to what appeared to be an amphitheater of gold, which served as a court. All the assembled Merpeople watched coldly as she was dragged towards the center of the amphitheater. There,  a green-tailed, red-haired, golden-crowned lady sat on a golden coral throne.  Lizzy was pretty sure she recognized this Queen from another fairy tale.

When Lizzy and her captors were within thirty feet of Queen, they came to a sharp stop and immediately forced Lizzy head down in a kind of bow. After roughly releasing her head, Lizzy shot them a mutinous look. 

"Release her hands." commanded the lady on the throne. Immediatly Lizzy's bonds were undone. She rubbed her wrists which had lost some feeling, they had been bound so tightly. Her guards still held her by the elbows to prevent her from floating back to the surface. The lady got up from her throne and Lizzy noticed for the first time that she held a trident, also of gold. What is it with fish and shiny objects?  Lizzy though, amused. 

"I am Queen Ariel of both this Golden Grotto of Neverland's Mermaid Lagoon and of Kaiera, The Land Kingdom in Fairyland. I welcome you Princess Elizabeth of the Lily, granddaughter of the Chief of the Wind People and Daughter of the Late High King of the Faeries. You certainly have grown, though I expect nothing less of the world of non-magic. How lovely you are." The voice was imperious but also not melodic as was rumored. Instead there was a slight gravellyness to it like the speaker's mouth was dry. A physical impossibility, but there you are. 

Lizzy was angry, overwhelmed and her head was aching with the pressure of the ocean. The Little Mermaid's compliments made no headway towards pacifying those feelings. Lizzy was not at her most polite and cordial as she growled, "Why am I here Queen Ariel?"

A cruel smile flitted across the Mer-Queen's face. Ariel gave a disconcerting laugh -- this was very musical-- and said, "Why, to give you sanctuary, young princess. Of all the peoples and places on Neverland, Golden Grotto is one of the safest. Hook, even with all this machinations, has never been able to figure out how to get to the Grotto. And Simwe and his faeries are like humans when it comes to water. Some lower types of faeries even face the danger of their wings dissolving in the salt water." It was said with mocking cruelty as if this was something she liked to watch. 

Lizzy crossed her arms, and challenged, "Why have me kidnapped, then if it was a friendly offer of sanctuary?"

Queen Ariel laughed again. Lizzy could see how delightful that sound might be under different circumstances, but it was beginning to grate on her already shot nerves. 

Ariel answered her with, "Kidnapped is such a strong word. I see it as...forceful rescue. Peter Pan would not have allowed you to come here. He has other plans for you. As for myself, I simply want to keep you safe. You have many enemies and your father was a friend and ally of mine. He helped forge the necklace that allows me to live on land half the year with my husband and the other half at sea with my people." She touched the necklace at her throat. It was a golden necklace, simple with an engraved pendant. Almost exactly like Lizzy's own silver one...The Queen caught Lizzy's intense scrutiny and her tone became more flippant, "Melior was always good to me, I see this as returning the favor."

Ariel's reasons made a certain amount of sense to Lizzy's waterlogged brain. But, there was that nagging inner voice that prompted Your grandmother wanted you to stick with Peter.  Lizzy was significantly more polite when she replied, "Queen Ariel, I appreciate your help and your ... hospitality,  but I am not made for the sea. As safe as it may be,  I cannot live here indefinitely."

"That will not be a long term issue." Ariel interrupted, "You will only be in the Grotto until I am ready to make my way to Kaiera. In the meantime, we will help you adjust, and in time you will be perfectly at home here." 

Without waiting for a reply Ariel addressed Lizzy's guards, "Sir Cor and Lady Nia, Please escort our guest to her quarters." Then she said these parting words to Lizzy as Lizzy was being led away, "Lady Nia will serve as you while you are here. We will make sure that those blaggards Captain Hook and King Simwe cannot get to you. And perhaps we can discuss alliances once you have had time to...adjust." the last felt and sounded more like a threat to Lizzy. 

Queen Ariel again gave her that cruel smile. Before Lizzy could think of anything to say, she was dragged roughly out of the room.

-----------------------------Back on the Surface---------------------------------

Jack looked at Peter in dismay. Peter frowned at the pool's surface and growled, "Mermaids! Those lousy, lying.."

Jack leaned on his staff and said, "I see relations haven't improved in the past few months."

Peter raged, "Queen Ariel demanded that Tiger Lily send Elizabeth to her when she returned, and marry her son, Prince Sorrel. That way, Lizzy is guaranteed of Queen Ariel's Merpeople army and the army of her husband King Eric of Kaiera to challenge Simwe for the throne. Queen Ariel also gains most by this alliance. She can use the pixie dust of the Faeries to help her husband's kingdom, she can gain knowledge of the natural medicines and stories of the ages from the Wind People. Plus her nincompoop of a son gets a wife, which was in significant doubt. In short, Ariel would off set the balance of power terribly. If the Old Ones are allowed to have that sort of leverage, well, it'll be bad news particularly for the Luminaries."

Peter shook his head trying to contain his anger, "Tiger Lily made it clear she would have to negotiate with me. It was no negotiation. The old shark came to threaten. Poor Tinker Bell let Ariel know just what she thought of her, too. Tink is in prison as a consequence of her reckless tongue. So yeah, no, relations between Ariel are at an impasse."

Jack let out a long low whistle. "We've got to get Lizzy back or that power hungry fish will take over the realms."

Peter nodded and began searching through his many pockets and pulled out a whiff-puff shell. This was the same shell that the Merpeople had put on Lizzy. It is the shape of a nautilus but is clear and gives the wearer a way to breathe and see underwater if they are a surface dweller. This is not an easy shell to find for it only grows in the dark underwater caves that connect all the Island's water sources. Pan had conned his way into getting that little beauty by charming a naïve little mermaid named Trite.

When Peter produced the shell Jack grinned a mischievous grin. 

"Now we're talking" He crowed, "We need to head to the Mermaid Lagoon and catch us a princess."

Wasting no more time, the boys began to run to the opposite side of the Island.