In Which She Sees the Impossible

Lost Boy Rule: Clothes are made from the Gumgee tree bark fibers. They are the lightest, most flexible and toughest of fabrics. The highest quality are made by the Wind People. They will not tear unless cut with an invisible blade.

Melody entered her Grandmother's Longhouse and changed into the clothes she was presented with. The interesting ensemble were dark grey breathable fabric with the texture of suede but the flexibility of cotton complete with breeches, sleeveless tunic, belt and shoes. 

She found a partitioned off area obviously for privacy and assumed the garments. In the dimness and the seclusion Melody faced the identity crisis. She was Melody, but she was also Elizabeth. She was ordinary, but also not-so-ordinary. She resolved within herself that while here, she could accept this new name, face and adventure without losing the Melody within herself. These people seemed to need a Princess Elizabeth to rally behind. Besides, the murders of her birthparents cried out for justice to be done for them and their people. Could she do this?   She slipped on her new clothes which plain and made for movement and tried not to overthink it anymore. 

What was the quote about greatness? "Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." She was being handed an important task and hoped fervently that she was up for it. 

The newly minted 'Lizzy' presented herself fully attired and ready for whatever was to happen next.

Tiger Lily smiled a teary smile and took her granddaughter's hand for a brief moment. Then Tiger Lily broke the next bomb shell, "You cannot stay here with me. The Wind People will fight for you when the time comes, but they cannot protect you adequately, nor are you a leader yet."

Lizzy's eyebrows flicked up in surprise at that statement. It was true, of course, but what exactly did her people expect of their leader?

"You must go with Pan. Learn to climb, to listen, to hide and to fight. I know that he and the lost boys will protect you with their lives if need be and there are none as well hidden as them when they do not want to be found."

Lizzy took stock of this new list of skills she needed, climb, listen, hide, fight. All while babysitting.

Peter made his way over from the group of Wind People that he had been gossiping with and held out his hand to Lizzy.

"Time to go Princess." He grinned, but there was something else in his green eyes that Lizzy couldn't quite place. It was there for a second, and then it was gone. She turned back to Tiger Lily and would have hugged her, but Tiger Lily put her right hand in a steady line touching Lizzy's right hip, left collar bone and finally kissing her fingertips. As she did this, she said, "I will remain steady while you walk in your journey, you are in my heart and may my love speed your safe return."

Peter did not give Lizzy an opportunity to respond but pulled her into his arm and lifted off into the morning sky.

When Peter set her down on her feet again, he was met with a forbidding scowl. "Don't start calling me princess. Also, why did we have to leave so abruptly? I only just met her and then we leave without an adequate goodbye?"

"I don't do goodbyes," he reposted briskly, and added, "You shouldn't either if you know what's good for you, Princess. It only makes emotion filled situation more melodramatic. Plus it is a waste of time and I don't need you crying on me. We've got enough to do to whip you into any sort of leader before Simwe or Hook discovers that you're here."

"Fine" she thrust back at him. He smirked. Then she added, " Stop calling me princess."

"I need to call you something, and Princess suits you." He walked over to an old tree and looked it over. It was not one that she would call a good climbing tree. Its branches were spread apart and the lowest ones were far off the ground.

"Call me Lizzy then." This was said in a far bolder tone than she actually felt. But at her words Peter nodded in approval. Flustered she began to babble, " and I can already do some of the things Tiger Lily asked me to learn from you. I can climb, listen, and hide. All you have to teach me to do is fight." She crossed her arms very confident of this assessment of her skills.

He laughed a little and pointed out, "Fighting is a last resort for you. Even half-fae, your strength is no match for a Pirate let alone Simwe." Lizzy scowled again. Peter, however wasn't done, "as for the other skills, we'll see what you can already do." 

And with that, he walked back over to her and reaching out, took hold of her necklace. The bright sliver chain had a pendant attached. On the one side of the circular pendant was a crest of acorns engraved into the slightly tarnished silver, on the other was the letter 'M'. The Necklace had been given to her parents as a newborn gift. They waited until her 8th birthday to give it to her and she hadn't take it off since that day. It was very precious to her. She was actually superstitious about taking it off. In the back of her mind was a lingering fear that this necklace was something too important to ever lose.

"That is lovely." Peter said in a mocking voice. Lizzy tried to slap his hand away but he grabbed her wrist with his free hand and yanked the chain cleanly off her neck. "I think I'll keep it."

"No!" she shouted and lunged after him but he was already running for the tree. Using a flying leap he grabbed a low knot and swung himself up to a low branch. It was all very acrobatic.

"No?" He said, tossing her treasure carelessly up and down in the air, "Well...you can have it back, when you can *climb* up and get it."

Lizzy walked around the tree seeing every knot and crevasse. She could not do such an acrobatic stunt like Peter had just pulled, but maybe she could reason her way up.

"Tick tock little Princess. If you're running away from pirates, you won't have time to think about it." Peter taunted.

Lizzy was furious, she jumped and reached for a knot a few feet higher than Peter's and used his knot as a foot hold. Her other foot wedged into a crevasse in the tree bark. Pushing with all her strength she shot towards a low branch. Her fingers hit the sides, but her grip was not there. She bumped into the trunk and slid down to the ground below. 

Her nose was bleeding and her palms were scratched. Thankfully that was the worst of it. Peter did not laugh, but he did roll his eyes. Grimly, she wiped her nose and tried again. This time she managed to hold on to the low branch for a few seconds before losing her grip and falling again. 

She tried five more times, each failure leading to a comment or eye roll from Peter. On the last attempt, she landed hard on her shoulder and rocked with the pain of it for a few seconds.

She felt a tingle at her ear and heard Peter's voice whisper, "You have a lot to learn, Lizzy, but you don't give up easily. There is hope for you yet." He pulled her to her feet and made a show of putting her necklace in his tunic pocket. As he patted it, he commented, "You'll get this back when you earn it. For now, your first lesson is over."

He turned and walked away. Lizzy followed, very humbled. She had though herself in great shape, but running was hardly acrobatic. 

She was lost in her morose thoughts of how she was going to tackle climbing that tree when she felt an icy breeze ruffle the back of her hair. She could have sworn she also heard laughter, but not of a mean sort. She turned to see if she could find the source of the sound and saw a young man, dressed in a blue sweat jacket and breeches wielding a staff.

Lizzy was tired and sore and not as polite as she would otherwise have been. She scoffed, "and who are you? Jack Frost or something?"

The man stopped and stared at her. His piercing blue eyes met hers and she had to admit, he was kind of gorgeous. What he said next was also surprising, "You can see me?"