The Dulldrums

Lost Boy Rule: Neverland is divided between the five peoples. Pirates are only supposed to have the Cannibal Cove  on the North west for their domain, but they generally disregard any boundaries and hunt on all lands. The Merfolk rule all the waterways and the underseas. The Fae's land is to the east side of the Island from the Easterly Sea to the edge of the Silver Pine Forest. The Wind People's Camp is on the Southern Side of the Island, farthest away from the Jolly Rodger. The Lost Boys domain is all the land in between. 

"Not determined enough, Lizzy." grunted Peter as he caught her from yet another jump off Dead Sheep Drop. He sounding extremely annoyed. 

Lizzy glared at him. They landed with a distinct lack of grace and she had to reach out to a branch to keep herself from falling on her dignity.  They had been at this for days, pushing her off of high places and then catching her just before she broke every bone in her body. Her other power of moving things with her mind was far easier for her to access than flight. Anger was a much easier emotion to access for her, whereas determination seem more elusive. 

"Peter I don't know how to be determined when there is no immediate danger and nothing at stake since I know you are going to catch me." She snarked. 

"THERE IS EVERYTHING AT STAKE LIZZY!" He shouted. 

Lizzy had meant it as a joke and really hadn't been thinking as she spoke. She blushed with some shame. There was no call for her to be so flippant about a life. Tink was at stake and she meant a lot to Peter. She had been so consumed with her own frustration at not being able to do this for Peter that it slipped out. Part of her also resented the foisted responsibility.  

Who was Peter Pan to think that her pluck from obscurity to leadership and magic would be an easy transition. Some of that resentment and guilt must have shone through her frank eyes because, Peter ran his fingers through his hair and took some calming breaths before saying, " You can do this, Lizzy. Maybe focusing on rescue isn't enough. You need to think bigger. Your people are dying. Children. Think of that. Both the Wind People and the Faeries. Focus on Tiger Lily, on saving her from certain death should Hook get his hands on you."

Lizzy said nothing but merely nodded. He still must have been annoyed because without further ceremony he pushed her off the cliff. 

Lizzy screamed in surprise.

"FOCUS" came the shouted words audible over the crashing waves below. 

Lizzy fought panic and closed her eyes as air rushed around her. She pictured Tiger Lily's face, the dignity and the striking blue eyes in the stark wrinkles. She thought of the her grandmother's gentle voice, and all that she had done to make sure the Lizzy could survive. Lizzy pictured her camp being attacked and pirates destroying that Wind People. Then an entirely different face swam before her eyes. The bright green of a new leaf framed by auburn curls, obnoxious grin and faint spray of freckles, strong arms and unsinkable determination of Peter Pan. She saw him in chains, those strong arms withered, mind destroyed and a flood of her protective instincts overwhelmed her senses. 

She still heard the ocean sounds below, but she realized that she had stopped falling. She kept that determination in the forefront of her mind and slowly opened her eyes. There was Peter grinning. 

Lizzy crossed her arms and scowled. 

"NOW TRY TO FLY BACK TO THE TOP OF THE CLIFF." Peter instructed shouting over the roar of the ocean below. 

Lizzy let her determination grow by imagining her flying to the top being the beginning of a very important chain of events. It would mean that she had a means to protect these people who were in need of her help. Slowly she rose to the top of the cliff. She landed smoothly and turned to face Peter. His face was radiating triumph but again he grabbed her arm and said, "again." before pushing her off the cliff's edge. They repeated the process about a hundred times more. Each time Lizzy stopped her decent a little more quickly and was able to rise back to the top with greater speed until finally Peter pushed her over the edge and she floated over the space a moment and walked back on to the cliff edge. 

Lizzy smirked at Peter who simply stated, "You're ready. Tonight we rescue Tink."

------------------------------------- Dusk----------------------------------------------

They waited for the darkness of night to descend. Then Peter and Jack and Lizzy made their way to the Silver Forest of the Faerie Kingdom. Lizzy knew the instant she crossed the border into the land of the Fae. The very air was perfumed with magic and otherworld-ness. Out of the twinkling darkness rose beautiful, and ornate structures. One was a bridge leading over a turquoise river, the other was a staircase leading up into the trees. 

Peter leaned over and whispered to Lizzy, "Don't touch any of the buildings. It'll set off an alarm letting Simwe know we are here." 

Lizzy shivered and followed meekly after the two boys. They flew over the river and made their way quietly through the underbrush. Through the gaps in the tree leaves and branches Lizzy caught glimpses of a beautiful and shimmering city. She was so busy staring up she almost ran into a column that formed part of the base for what looked like a grand ball room. Jack's crook pulled her out of danger but caused her to gag. Both boys shot her a look that was full of reproach. Ashamed, Lizzy kept her eyes on the path they were following and made no more noise. 

They walked for a few more minutes until they reached the base of a mountain. Even if she had seen it in the daytime, it would still have given her the creeps. The rock that rose before them was black, and shiny like rows of onyx teeth. No plant life grew on those slopes. It was warrened with jutting rocks creating mazes. Scattered here and there on the slopes were white objects.  These white sticks and flecks seemed to emanate from a cave about 100 feet up the slope. As they approached the foot of the mountain, Lizzy could just make out the white objects were bleached bones. She shuddered. What horrible monsters lived in that cave? she wondered.

Peter pointed and whispered, "That is the entrance to the Dulldrums." he pointed right towards that menacing cave. Lizzy's eyes widened and she had to fight the jitters building up in her stomach.

Peter's voice continued to give instruction, " You will have to fly from here. I cannot go in with you.If I tried I would have my happy thoughts sucked right out of me and then I would burst into flames. Jack can't go either as he would set off warding alarms. The cave belongs to you as rightful ruler of the Faeries, and it will not contest your entry.  Only you can set Tink free. The keys only respond to a High Fae so once you find her, let her out. Do not be surprised if Tink doesn't want to come with you. Be prepared to drag her out if necessary."

Lizzy was very nervous. He had told her all this before, but this was far more intimidating than he had let her believe. Why were there bones strewn from the cave entrance? Were there monsters inside? 

Peter saw her hesitation in her face and said, "This is the first step in reclaiming what is rightfully yours and restoring peace to a kingdom in desperate need of it. Tink is the first of many to come. you need to believe that, Lizzy." 

Lizzy closed her eyes and focused on Tiger Lily, the lost boys, her vulnerable students back in the world without magic, her nieces and nephew all those she needed to protect. She even brought flash of that first unbidden and horrid image of Peter utterly defeated because of her, to her mind, for good measure.  With the gathered power of her determination. She lifted into the air and headed toward the creepy cave.