Shared History

Lost Boy Rule: Get home before the Crocodile clock strikes ten. If you're late, you're in trouble because the Dark Fae and Pirates roam the Island between ten at night and six the next morning. Pirates always will roam, but Dark Fae only come out at night. Both are soul stealing vermin.

After dinner, Peter and Lizzy went up to the balcony below her platform and sat in friendly silence for a while. Lizzy's head buzzed with unasked questions. She wondered if she would be brave enough to ask them.

She ventured with, "How did you know that was my favorite?"

"What was your favorite?" he shot back.

"Dinner."

He laid back on the balcony and stared at the planks overhead as he responded, "I have been watching over you for years. I flatter myself I know almost all of your favorites." Then he smugly added, "Some even your husand didn't know."

Lizzy shot him a dissapproving look and challenged, "Oh yeah? Like what."

Peters face sobered and he said, "You love to dance and sing. When you were married you never did that. Your favorite treat is chocolate mousse. You love the sound of the ocean waves, to stare at the moving water, to hear rain fall. In fact you love the sound of moving water so much, you make it a point to walk your dogs by the creek in your neighborhood most days."

"I sound a little cheesy." Lizzy teased. "That's very creepy how you know all that, though."

"I had a job to do." Peter complained, "I am nothing if not thorough." He turned to look at her as he asked, "Remember when you were small, some of the things you believed in. Like that one time in third grade when you just knew that a whiffle ball was coming towards the back of your head a recess and you caught it by reaching out your hand, sight unseen?"

Lizzy nodded, "I was pretty sure I was clairvoyant."

Peter smiled and added, "Or there was that time in first grade where you woke up a few mornings convinced that if you concentrated hard enough, you could float a few inches off the ground?"

Lizzy laughed, "Yeah, I remember...How do you?"

"That was me. I used dreams to try to train your magic. I can do that even from here in Neverland. I thought it was important you had faith in your own abilities so that when you came back, it wouldn't be so much of a shock. So we had adventures, dream adventures. I trained you but you only half remembered them when you woke up."

He shook his head in mild frustration before continuing, "Then something terrible happened in your world. Your country was attacked by terrorists and the towers fell down. That was the day you stopped believing in your powers. You were presented with such shocking evil that as an eleven year old, your practical brain couldn't retreat and fix it with magic. Since that day, I couldn't reach you. It wasn't that you grew up, it was that you lost faith in that part of yourself. After that day, you devoted yourself to helping as you could. You became a teacher because of it. You married David, the greatest helper you knew. I still watched over you, but that made last night so much harder for you as a result." Peter explained.

Lizzy opened her mouth to apologize but didn't. She didn't do anything wrong.

She then asked, "You said I had abilities, what are they?"

Peter grinned, "I guess we will have to find out. They change over the course of a high Fae's life and yours have been dormant so long, others may have manifested in their stead. The only one I am fairly sure you still have is the ability to charm anyone you meet. I mean you had Tommy and Ben worshiping at your feet and Monk, who doesn't hardly speak, even offered you a plate. So there's that."