Escape from a Watery Grave

Lost Boy Rule: If Pan can't figure out a way to win. It can't be done.

Elizabeth was certain of one thing. She was not here as a guest, but as a prisoner. This conclusion was hit home when Lady Nia locked a leg iron to her ankle. This purportedly was to ensure that Lizzy would not float away, but they both knew better. 

Lizzy's head pounded. She couldn't adjust to the pressure. She hated wearing the shell on her face. She had to figure out a way to get out of this but between the shell and the pressure, she couldn't focus. She floated apathetically and studies her surroundings. 

The palace was still in the sunlight zone of the ocean she could see the sun rays dancing down to the ocean floor, but they were still probably 100 feet below surface. Too much deeper and my head will pop off like a balloon. Lizzy thought morosely. 

Lady Nia flitted around the room organizing and showing Lizzy different trinkets that had been given for her use. There were clothes, of the mermaid sort, trinkets that apparently Queen Ariel though of as treasures (most of which were human detritus), and a literal kelp bed. 

Lady Nia stopped in her flurry and stated, "You are not to go anywhere without me or another of the guards, the open ocean is a dangerous place for an upworlder." Then she added with a scoff, "You wouldn't get far anyway. Why, you can't even speak to fish."

Lizzy glared mutinously. Whenever Nia's back had been turned, she had been trying to work her ankle free of the shackle. This was a possibility since she had very slim ankles and small feet and the irons were made for that of a full grown man. 

Lizzy spat, "I know I'm a prisoner here, don't pretend like I'm a guest." Nia merely smiled in response and said nothing but went about the room again straightening things the current kept knocking out of place. 

An hour passed in this way, Nia fussing, bullying, and fixing the furnishings in turns and Lizzy working her foot free without getting discovered. That was when she saw a familiar flash of red hair outside one of her windows. Nia must have seen it too, for with a mighty swipe of her tail, she closed the distance and peered out the window. Lizzy used the distraction and pulled her foot all the way out of her shackles and swam towards the other window to escape. 

Nia must have felt the disturbance in the water behind her because as just as swiftly she swam over and grabbed Lizzy, holding a knife to her throat.

"Not so fast, little Princess." Nia hissed in Lizzy's ear. Lizzy struggled but the Merlady was very strong, probably from all that swimming. 

Lizzy then saw Jack fly into the window she had been aiming for and put a hushing finger to his lips. The doors behind them burst open. Lizzy saw with satisfaction that both Merguards were unconscious and floating on the ceiling. Pan was swimming into the room. 

"If I scream, more of my people will come, Pan. You have come to a water fight with only your two human legs to propel you along. You cannot win." Nia challenged.

Pan grinned that ineffable grin and sneered, "I have a secret weapon on my side this time, fish. Release Princess Elizabeth and you will be spared. Harm a hair on her head and you will suffer the consequences." at that last threat Pan pulled out his knife.  Lizzy saw Jack swim around the back side of her and her captor, when Nia didn't react to Jacks approach. It was then Lizzy realized, Nia couldn't see Jack. 

Nia responded to Peter's threat in kind, pulling the whiff-puff shell from Lizzy's face. Lizzy had just enough fore thought to grab a quick breath before her world became blurry and airless once more. Nia retaliated the challenge with these words, "If you try to take her from this place, I will kill her. The Half Fae mutt's life is not worth Queen Ariel's time if she is free." 

"Ariel will be sorely disappointed in you then. Jack NOW!" Peter shouted and the water behind Lizzy's back turned cold, icy in fact. She heard Nia scream and release her and Lizzy began to float upward.

Strong arms wrapped around her again and the world cleared as the whiff-puff shell was put back into place. She again saw Peter's distorted grin through the clear shell, and in spite of herself, she hugged him, she was so relieved. Seeing him was a promise that she was getting out of this stifling world.

He returned the squeeze then said, "We've got to get out of here. Queen Ariel may not notice a few knocked out guards, but ice in the water... she'll come and investigate."

They made their way as quickly as they dared, back to the surface and then Peter and Jack flew Lizzy back to the shore. The ocean in the Lagoon was suddenly illuminated with shining lights and some steam was rising.

Peter let out a triumphant crow and Jack laughed. Lizzy laid down in the warm sand and breathed the ocean air.

"Queen Ariel's pretty mad, alright. Just look at that steam!" Peter celebrated, "that'll teach her to keep her fishy hands to herself, or at least think twice before double crossing Peter Pan and Jack Frost!" Both boys danced and laughed until they collapsed on the ground next to Lizzy in a daze of victory.

"So that was fun." Peter commented, "You got a little on-the-job training with that smooth kidnapping. Nice work getting your foot free!"

Lizzy, in spite of herself, smiled but said, "I guess my returning is making a lot more enemies than expected."

Jack interjected, "That Fish has no allegiance whatsoever. Your father even helped her and she still made no stand when Simwe murdered him for the throne.  She is always a wild card, is Queen Ariel of Golden Grotto. As changeable as they come. As long as you realize that her allegiance comes with a good dose of self interest, then you won't be surprised when the betrayal comes."

Lizzy nodded storing that nugget of information in her new bank of information she labeled "Neverland survival rules"

"One question. Jack, Why couldn't Lady Nia see you?" Lizzy asked. 

Jack gave a cocky shrug, "Merpeople don't have souls. They answer to the Deep Ones and the ocean."

That vague and interesting answer was also stored in the "Neverland survival rules" bank in Lizzy's brain and she sighed. There had been so much for her brain to process today that even out of the Ocean and its pressures, her head ached. 

Pan stood up abruptly and held out a hand to pull Lizzy to her feet as well. "I think we've had quite enough adventures for one day don't you, Princess?"

Lizzy nodded asked, "Where to next?"

Both boys answered in chorus, " To the Hideout Tree!"