Chapter 22: Late October Rain

En başından başla

                “He’ll get over it,” Sam said, putting the car in park and hopping out.

                I quickly opened my door and followed behind him, taking big steps to catch up to him.

                “Why are you in such a hurry?” I asked, finally reaching his side.

                He held the door open for me and as I walked through he said behind me, “Because we’re ten minutes late.”

                Silly Sam, I thought to myself as Sam went up to the hostess and asked to be lead to the table. The restaurant was even nicer in the inside than the out, which I didn’t think was possible. The walls were painted reds, browns, and whites, and the ceiling even had artwork on it. I studied it, wishing I had the ability to paint like that. Chandeliers and the strategically planned light scheme gave the restaurant the perfect dimness. The tables were made of dark wood and the plates and silverware looked utterly fancy.

                “Quinn,” Sam said and I snapped back to attention, looking over at him. “I said we’re going to the table.” He pulled me along beside him then, following the waitress in front of us as she led us to the biggest table in the room.

                Everyone at the table turned to look at us when we finally made it to the table and the waitress left.

                “Sam,” a man said who I figured was his dad. “You’re ten minutes late.”

                “Sorry about that, I misjudged the time again,” Sam said.

                I was blushing next to him. Just knowing that I technically shouldn’t be here made me feel extremely uncomfortable; like I’m totally intruding.

                “This is Quinn,” Same introduced me. “She’s a friend from school. I invited her to come along.”

                Sam’s dad smiled at me and said, “Hello Quinn.” He turned back to Sam and pointed to the end of the table, “You guys can sit down there.”

                Of course, when we finally reached that area, there was only one seat because I wasn’t supposed to be here. Sam graciously gave me his seat and pulled one of the chairs from a small table next to ours over to our table, scooting it extra-close because there was hardly enough room. Finally I took the time to assess what was going on and the people around me.

                I was sitting next to a teenage boy on my other side, another teen boy was across from us, and a younger looking girl was across from us also. Down the table there were two toddlers and four adults, two woman and two men. One Susan and one Sam’s father. The adults had calm chatter and I realized the teens were talking too.

                The younger girl, who looked about eleven, grinned at us and said, “So you’re Sam?”

                Sam nodded.

                “I’m Oli, this is Jake, and that’s Darren.”

                Jake was the one sitting next to her and Darren was sitting next to me. Darren had a quirky look going for him and Jake was practically the opposite; a tough jock.

                “Hey guys,” Sam said.

                “Who are you?” Oli asked, pointing at me.

                I blushed, “I’m Quinn.”

                “Are you Sam’s sister?” she asked me.