Chapter 11: Christy

SoI don't know why, but this chapter just seemed so easy to write and came out really good (or at least I think it did). Drop me a comment if you agree or disagree with me! I'd posted this and deleted it because I just got inspired all of the sudden to add a lot more!

***

Chapter 11

Christy

Grandpa and grandma decided to drive home with me that day. Well, not really. They took their own car and followed me home. I pulled in and glanced at the clock in my car. 2:00, which meant there was another hour with my grandparents until my dad came home.

                I got out of my car and walked inside the house just as they pulled up. Maybe I should make them coffee or tea? By the time they came in I had the kettle on the stove.

                They sat down at the kitchen table and together we waited and chatted a bit more. This time grandpa didn’t say a word about mom, he knew that I was all talked out. I could tell my grandma wanted to go into the subject, but grandpa had probably given her a huge speech on the car ride here.

                When dad pulled in my heart beat quickened. I didn’t want to get yelled at again, or see a look of disappointment in his eyes. I felt guilty already.

                He opened the door and his face was already expecting because he had seen their car.

                “What’s going on?” he asked, walking over and sitting down at the table with us, still wearing his shoes and jacket and holding his car keys.

                “You’re daughter here decided to skip school and come to the hotel,” grandma said.

                Grandpa gave her a look and she shut up.

                “You did what?” he said, looking at me, angry.

                I slid down further into my seat.

                “You know I don’t have any tolerance for skipping school young lady,” he said. He tried to sound angry but he came off more as worried.

                Which was exactly what I was trying to keep him from doing.

                “I’m sorry, dad. I just wanted to visit grandma and grandpa,” I lied.

                I forgot that grandpa obviously knew the truth… and he was obviously going to tell him.

                He interrupted and my heart sunk.

                “She actually came by to go to the roof.”

                “Why?” he asked, directing the question at me even though he was looking at Gramps.

                Gramps answered for me anyway, “She wanted to see about her mother.”

                My dad shut down at that point. He only goes so far before he stops talking about mom; I figured that out the summer after she left.

                I had come up to him one night while he was in bed. I felt like I was ten again even though I was thirteen, I was a teenager. I walked up to his bed and asked if he was awake. When he said yes I got in the covers where mom usually sleeps and wrapped the warm sheets around myself. I could faintly smell her scent, just barely and I didn’t like to think that it would soon wear off for good. Dad turned around and looked at me, waiting to see what I was doing and why I was in his room.