Chapter 9: Lost It

Chapter 9

Lost It

My head throbbed and I groaned, rolling over in my bed. Why do I have such a headache? I never get headaches…

                Suddenly, images from last night flashed through my head. The closet. Christy and Sam. Sam and I on the porch. I groaned again and looked around myself at the empty room. Where the hell was I? Shit, Julie and Christy are going to be so pissed at me. I sat up in bed and the room seemed to spin a little bit.

                Maybe… after another little nap I’ll be able to actually get up and get out of here. So I lay my head back down in the comfy pillows and felt sleep take over me again.

***

When I woke up again the room now occupied two other people. Sam and a guy I didn’t exactly recognize.

                “… hey?” I said, sitting up and looking at them.

                “Hi,” was all they said.

                I awkwardly lay back down and looked at the ceiling. “Wow, how much did I even drink last night?”

                “That’s exactly what I was wondering,” the guy next to Sam muttered.

                “This is Hank. His house and stuff,” Sam explained.

                “Ohh…” I said. “So I’m still in Hank’s house… where exactly?”

                “The attic,” Hank answered.

                I sat there for a moment, processing everything. “Are Christy and Julie still here?”

                “Not sure. A lot of people are.”

                “They’re gonna be so pissed at me,” I sighed.

                “Who cares?” Sam asked me.

                “I need to find them and take them back to Christy’s if they are here,” I said, sitting up.

                That was when I saw it. Looking down at my right hand, on my ring finger, my mother’s ring disappeared. I felt myself starting to panic.

                “Oh my God!” I said, jumping up and looking around.

                “What?” Sam asked me.

                “My ring! Oh God it’s gone,” I said, starting to panic. “I had it last night when I came here but now it’s gone!”

                “Don’t worry… everything usually pops up after I’m finished cleaning,” Hank said.

                I shook my head and looked through the bed for it, and before I knew it I had searched the whole room. Nowhere. It wasn’t anywhere. My world turned a dark gray as I felt like I was suffocating. How could I do this? I how could I be stupid enough to lose the thing that’s probably the most important to me right now? I put my head in my hands and took in a few deep breaths.

                “We’ll find it,” Sam said reassuring, touching my back.

                “You don’t understand,” I said, panicked. “It’s really important to me.”