Chapter 8: Secrets Saved For When I'm Sober

I made that cover in the corner but decided not to use it :)

*****

Chapter 8

Secrets Saved For When I’m Sober

“How do I look?” Julie turned around, looking at me.

                I stared at her perfectly curled hair, perfectly done makeup, and perfect dress. Then I bit my tongue.

                She looked utterly fake.

                “Great,” I said.

                I wish that it was the old Julie. If Julie never changed she would have her normal straight hair, jeans, and science t-shirt. But time turned her into this. It was too hard to see the old her now. Christy squealed.

                “We look so hot!” she shouted, looping arms with Julie and running over to the full-length mirror.

                I stood there, feeling utterly ugly in my jeans and green hoodie, but I wasn’t about to change into them. If I told them I wanted to change and borrow Christy’s clothes, they would probably tackle me with their products. I’d be yet another clone of them.

                “At least let me do your makeup…” Christy complained.

                Before I could argue she had taken my hand and pushed me into a chair. Then different powders and brushes were all over my face. When they were finally done I hopped up, saying I had to use the bathroom as an excuse to avoid them dressing me next. When I came back out, they seemed to be ready. We took my car; I’m the driver so they can get piss drunk tonight.

                “Remember, come find us at around two and take us back to Christy’s, not mine because my parents are home,” Julie said, hopping out of the car, Christy right behind her.

                I watched them walk up to the house where I could see loads of people through the window and on the porch. I then had to literally park my car about three blocks away because the streets were filled with cars. I sat in my car, debating what to do. Going to the party might just be social suicide since I literally won’t have anyone to talk to. That meant I had about eight hours to kill...

                I looked up, about to pull out, but paused.

                In front of me stood Cora and Ali. They were giggling, both in jeans and sweatshirts, heading to what could only be the party. I didn’t want to spend my Friday night at home today, or in the park, or at the lake. I wanted to have fun.

                So I turned my keys, turning my car back off, and got out. They had both already passed me so I hurried after them.

                “Cora! Ali!” I yelled.

                They both turned and looked at me. At first my heart was beating over time. This was stupid. Why would they want to hang out with me? They probably think I’m some huge loser now because I have no one to go to the party with. And why the hell would they ever consider me as their friend? Maybe in Art class but outside of it, never…

                But then I saw them both smile when they saw me.

                “Oh my gosh Quinn! Look at this monstrosity Ali attempted to draw now,” Cora said, snatching a paper out of Ali’s hand and hurrying over to me.