10

Rebecca

Thanksgiving.

We postponed the wedding due to my limp and healing wounds. Wow I sound pathetic. My walk is getting better, I can walk on more than just my toes now. It takes me a little longer to move than everyone else to move around. I'm sitting in front of my vanity staring at my makeup. It looked even and the fill in on my brows made my face look less tired. I kept it all simple, because we aren't doing anything all that special this year.

Even if they had something planned I'd be the last to know. My mom has this thing where she doesn't want to speak to me unless I put effort in a conversation. She wants me to marry Derek for reasons that I can't seem to grasp.

I sigh staring at my reflection, how did I let myself agree to this? I look over at the dress hanging up on my closet door. It was a daring red that stopped mid thigh with thin spaghetti straps and a neckline that showed off my girls.

My mom told me I had to look nice since Derek and his family were coming over. I curled my hair and the went soft and I loved it. My lips are painted in a semi dark red to match the dress. A knock on my door makes me shake my head, "Who is it?"

The door cracks open and Jack sticks his head inside. I chuckle and wave him in. Kaitlyn rushes in after him, woah. I look the two over, "Why aren't you two getting dressed?" They share a look, "You agreed to tell her." Jack says after Kaitlyn gives him a nasty glare.

Kaitlyn's in skinny jeans with a small rip on the knee with a light blue button up and a long gray sweater with booties, "We were thinking," She gestures towards the two of them. Jack stands in front of me in khakis and a white button up with dress shoes on, "You shouldn't be here." I furrow my eyebrows, "Well geez." Jack hit her arm, "Oh god, no not like that!" Kaitlyn apologized sitting down on the bed, "No okay let me say it differently."

Jack leans up against my bedroom door, "You fell in love Becks, you should be with him. You should be with someone that makes you truly happy." She says and I look down at my lap, "Nice save Kate." Jack says and she sighs, "But really Becca, you've been through a hell personally built for you by our parents. This family doesn't deserve you, you shouldn't have to please someone who doesn't give a shit about you." I study my manicure, the soft pink makes me feel calm.

"He hates me." Jack kneels down in front of me, "He does not hate you, he's just confused about everything that's going on." I put my hands on his shoulders, "You didn't see the way he looked at me in that car." I feel my eyes water up, "If he saw me again it'd be too soon, guys I'm serious."

Jack stands up and my hands fall off of him, "Okay I'm tired of this Becca." I look at him, "If you love him so much why don't you go talk to him and explain everything. He'll understand, it may take some time but he will."

He points at me, "But you have to make the first damn move little sis." I've never heard him talk like this way before, "So put on a pair of your favorite lacey underwear to give you confidence if that's what it's gonna take."

Wow, "But I swear to god if you put that dress on I'm gonna pour chocolate syrup on your head. You'll look like Carrie." I raise my eyebrow, "You do know Carrie was covered in blood right?" He rolls his eyes, "Does it look like I have a pig in the backyard I can bleed out?"

Kaitlyn rolls her eyes, "Get dressed Rebecca we mustn't be more late than we already are." Kaitlyn opens the door and the two of them rush out leaving me speechless. I sit there stunned by what just happened.

I shake off the whole Carrie threat and go to my dresser and open the top drawer, favorite underwear? I begin to dig through my various kinds and settle on a maroon silk cheekie with lace. I slip into them and then into a pair of leggings. I pull slowly carefully trying not to pull on the badage covering the stitches.

I slip on some socks that stop right over my ankle, making sure my pants are tucked into the socks. I stand up and walk over to my closet and pull out my white sweater.

There was a triangle cut just below the neckline leaving a section of my skin on display. There was still a strip that kept the sweater together above the cut out. I slip on some booties and sit down at my vanity, I pull a section of my hair up into a small top knot bun. I leave a good amount of hair down and fix the curls so there isn't any frizz. I hook my lucky necklace around my neck, it was simple with a small silver ball. I grab my phone off the charger smiling to myself.

I fill my purse with some makeup just in case I need to touch up anything and some minty gum for bad breath and my charger. I swing my door open and see my two crazy siblings standing outside my door. I smile and grab my bottle of perfume as I shut my light off, "Lets go gang." Jack smiles rubbing his hands together.

Kaitlyn and I both laugh and follow him downstairs, "Lets just get out of here without you getting us caught. I chuckle to myself as I see Kaitlyn shoving deodorant in her purse. We make it downstairs and Jack gets his keys out of his pocket as we hear someone clearing their throat and we come to a complete stop.

We slowly turn around and our mother is staring at us with her arms crossed over one another, "Excuse me?" I sigh and take a step towards her, "What mother?" She puts a hand on her chest, "You better drop the attitude right now Rebecca, your behavior lately is unacceptable." I hold my bag my hand, "What because I won't let you control me anymore?" I challenge her, "I am twenty three and yet I'm still letting you control me life. So get off my back."

"I got the good grades. I freaking played Bethoven when I was eight and you told me it needed work." She looks up at the ceiling and sighs loudly, "I'm not going to marry Derek." Her head snaps forward, "No." Her voice is deep, "I have stood for worse and I will not let you throw this away." She walks closer, "Or what?" I put my hands together, "Please mommy tell me what you'll do." She glares her eyes at me.

I watch as my dad walks out of the kitchen with his hands stuffed in his pant pockets, "You want to take my inheritance away, fine fucking take it. You will never force me to starve myself in order to make you look better anymore. When I was gone, oh my gosh, I don't think I've ever had that feeling of freedom in my entire life being controlled by you two." I spit, "I came back because the obedient daughter that I am I listened to your terms. But not anymore."

The tension in the room is high, "So mind you, I'm gonna go get the man that I left for you guys back." I say and spin around swinging open the front door and walking out. I reach into my purse and take out my keys unlocking it.

I swing open the door and watch Jack and Kaitlyn snickering to each other. I get in and sit my purse in the passenger seat, Jack opens the passenger door, "Hey we're gonna follow you." I nod and he shuts the door.

I plug my phone in to the aux cord and my car charger, I scroll through my music and click shuffle. I turn up the volume and roll my car out of the drive and wait a little for Jack to pull out. Once he's out I speed up and take the shortcut to the interstate. The music flows through the speakers calming me. I can almost hear Andre making fun of my music as he sings along to it.