The First Day of School

"Are you sure you don't want us to go with you?" Mateo offered as I finished up my breakfast.

"We'll put the fear of God in that delinquent." Xavier added, already in his work clothes with his badge around his neck.

It was about six in the morning, and both of my brothers were already up and ready to go to work, waiting for me to finish my breakfast so they could drop me off for the first day of school.

"I'll be fine. And besides, I'll have Vanessa and Julian with me, so he won't be able to pull anything funny."

"You mean Dance Girl and Film Boy? All the delinquent has to do is look at them and they'll go running." Xavier scoffed, finishing my chocolate croissant without even asking me if he could have it.

I stood up from my seat and took my dishes to the sink and started washing them, ignoring any other mean comments he made. When I finished washing the dishes, I picked up my bag and gave Xavier a serious look.

"Stop it, those are my friends you're talking about."

"Yeah, yeah."

Ignoring him, I went to stand in front of a mirror in the hallway and gave myself a once over,   pleased with what I saw.

I decided to add some black leggings that ended a little above the knee to leave just a sliver of thigh visible, and instead of wearing flats, I decided to wear my black Converse instead. My hair was curled loosely to perfection, and to top it off, I put on some of my favorite cherry perfume.

"How do I look?"

My brothers didn't even look up from their phones when I asked, responding with a simultaneous "Fine."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed my flute case, eager to get to band class and start playing again.

"Well, I'm ready to go."

Finally realizing that I wanted to leave, my brothers looked up from their phones and started to get ready to leave as well.

I was a little offended that they were ignoring me, but when I looked onto Xavier's phone screen, I saw he was texting his girlfriend, so I forgave him.

Alexis got a root canal two days ago and she's been pretty loopy ever since because the dentist accidentally gave her more anesthetic than she was supposed to take, so it's taking her a little longer for it to wear off. We went to visit her yesterday after I got back from school and she kept on calling me Goldilocks and asking if I knew where Toto was.

No matter how many times I corrected her and told her those were two different stories, she would not quit, so I ended up bringing Luna over since we only live like two blocks away from each other and called her Toto for the day, my brothers in hysterics the entire time.

When I left the house, I stood in shock for a few seconds before rolling my eyes and sighing at what I saw sitting in the driveway.