I'm cold

"Poor dear..."

"How old is she again? Eight?"

"No child should ever have to deal with such a terrible loss." The speaker, a female, clicked her tongue. "No child..."

"That's life. If she can't deal with it, then bully for her."

Caulifla sat in silence as the adult saiyans conversed around her as if she wasn't even there. She didn't know what to say to them. For the first time in her short life, her silver tongue had become lead in her mouth.

Maybe she should make an outburst. Scream at them.

Maybe she should cry. Wouldn't it make sense for her to cry at this stage?

Or maybe she could continue what she was doing right now, sitting pale faced among adults who only pretended to care.

In the gray room, she glanced at the single poster taped on the wall. "No child left behind" it declared.

Already, she knew she would hate it here.

"The documents are all ready, Pepper," a stern looking saiyan said. "As of today, she'll be under your care."

"Of course." Pepper was plump and round faced by it was obvious she has some hidden muscle under her matronly outfit. Her neck was practically thick, ropy muscle after all. She nudged Caulifla and, despite radiating bodily heat, the touch felt cold to the newly orphaned saiyan.

When Caulifla didn't move, Pepper put on her best smile. "Come on dear. We're going to have lots of fun at your new home. I promise."

Promise. The word echoed in her head and she stood up abruptly, causing Pepper and the others to look at her in confusion. After a few moments of silence, Pepper took her by the hand as gently as she could and guided her out of the cold, monochromatic room.

The corridor was no better for Caulifla. White, clinical lights shone brightly, giving it a formal, uncaring ambience. The place was a few doctors short of a hospital.

Pepper seemed to notice her discomfort and picked up the pace, which Caulifla was able to be at least a little grateful for. At least the woman wasn't a complete idiot when it came to handling small children.

But Caulifla was neither small nor a child.

Not anymore.

When they got outside, Pepper started up her car and nudged Caulifla into the backseat before getting into the driver's seat.

"Now I know what you're thinking," Pepper said by way of starting a conversation. "Why don't we fly instead?"

That was not at all what she was thinking but Caulifla simply put on her best poker face and let the woman continue as the car moved.

"But we have a policy here. Not all children are as lucky as you to be taught how to fly by their... parents. The building where we keep all the children your age is near the main office block, where we just were so it'll only be a short drive."

Keep all the children your age. As if she were some animal. Once upon a time, she would have cared. But now she was too tired.

Far, far too tired.

"Most of the children have never met their parents before. You're one of the lucky ones."

Lucky? Was this lady insane? Caulifla lifted her chin to stare at her through the rear view mirror. "No," she said, her voice hollow. "It's the other way round."