Homicide and Sugar

Start from the beginning

"I'm here to help you – Can't you see that?" he soothes. I just glare at him.

"Yeah, making me kill a guy and driving me insane is real "helpful". Thanks."

The demon shakes his head. "You don't understand, yet. I'm freeing you from the prison that is your conscience."

"No, thanks. I like not being a sociopath."

"Do you?"

I open my mouth to deny his statement but, as usual, there's truth to his words. When I stabbed that man, I felt invigorated, revived... powerful. As much as I hate to say it, I want to feel that again. It felt horribly incredible. Having a life in my hands to manipulate in any way I want... knowing that I decide whether it lives or dies – It's an addicting responsibility.

The only thing preventing me from chasing that feeling, I think, is my conscience, the knowledge that it'll ruin my reputation and any chance at a normal life.

Quickly shaking my head, I answer negatively: "It doesn't matter what I like – What matters is that I don't kill people. It's bad. How difficult is that to understand?"

Dark smiles at my answer, obviously pleased that I had realized my homicidal desires. He disappears before my eyes, leaving me uneasy and tense.

"You know what you want just as well as I do," he whispers behind me. I whip around, but he's vanished.

"You love the feeling of having power. You're addicted to it. You're dependent on it." The voice comes from behind me again, but still there's no one there.

"Do you know what happens when you stop killing? Do you know why you need to continue?" I don't even turn this time. Accepting that I won't find him. I reluctantly shake my head in answer to his question. Though I'll probably regret it afterward, I want to know what he's insinuating.

"You need to keep killing because, [Y/N], you won't be able to control yourself if you fight your urges for too long." Dark finally reappears about a meter in front of me, catching me off guard.

"What do you mean?" I question, struggling to keep my voice steady. He smiles.

"It's like a human and sugar," he begins.

"You're comparing homicide to sugar?"

"In small doses every now and then, the human stays happy and only mildly unsatisfied," he continues, ignoring me. "If they're kept from it, however, they will devour as much as they can as soon as possible."

My eyes widen in realization along with the tightening of my chest. "That won't happen to me. I'm not addicted. I just won't kill people." Dark laughs again, his voice echoing throughout the room and inside of my head. He vanishes again, but I feel him immediately reappear behind me.

"We'll see about that."

I quickly open my eyes, gasping. Luckily, Masson's the heaviest sleeper in the world, I think.

While I had been sleeping, I had moved over so that I was straddling Masson – not sitting on him, but perched right above him on my knees. My hands are gently wrapped around his neck, but fortunately not hurting him... yet. I quickly move back onto the floor, laying on my back and firmly clasping my hands on my chest. I sigh in relief, glad that neither person woke up before I had time to fix the situation. In the back of my mind, I hear rumbling laughter, and a shadowy silhouette appears for an instant in the window.