Chapter Seven

"I know I'm gorgeous but I'd rather you keep your mouth shut; that's just nasty," the devil himself cringed, walking to stand in front of me.

"What the hell do you want Mark?" I lowered my hotdog to my lap and gave him a bored look only slightly peeved he had interrupted my date with food. I had found it weird that I didn't actually feel compelled to hit him in that moment like I normally would have if he had of stopped me from eating, but I shook it off without a further thought. He simply shrugged and answered, "To talk."

"Well we're talking aren't we?" Much to my disgust I added in my head. "Nah. It's more like I'm talking and your snapping at me. Tell me, is it your time of the month?" He asked as if it was the most casual thing ever.

I slapped him in the stomach and tried to fight the blush trying to rise to my cheeks. It was in fact that time however but pigs will fly before I would have admitted that to him.
"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked, partly curious and partly trying to change the subject. He didn't seem to notice how I was avoiding the topic and for that I was grateful. "I had to bring my little sister here."

"You have a sister?!" I almost-shouted; I had known Mark for years and yet I had never heard of the existence of a Mini-Hastings. "Yeah?" He said as if it was a question, seemingly slightly taken aback by my outburst.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I snapped. He rolled his eyes at my behaviour before explaining, "because, last time I checked, we don't have time to talk in between our fights, let alone ever have a civil conversation."

"True, I agreed after moments of contemplation, "so which one is she?" He searched through the kids playing on the various play equipment until his eyes landed on a girl with brown hair and green eyes much like my own. "That's her," he pointed out.

"Really? She looks a lot like me," I observed the girl more closely. It seemed like all the kids floated around her wanting just an ounce of her attention. She had the cutest smile that seemed to stick in one's mind almost hauntingly. The longer I watched her, the more familiar she became. I was a second away from drawing conclusions before my thoughts were cut off.

"I know," Mark replied to my earlier comment in what someone could describe as sadness. I had wondered in that moment what had gotten into his normal chipper and egotistical behaviour. I didn't have to wait long, however, as the look passed and his smugness returned.

I decided to let it pass and avoid further integration to satisfy my curiosity and instead I changed the subject. "So how's your song coming along?" I inquired thoughtfully.

"Much better than yours I'm sure," He smirked, not a single traced of the broken boy from earlier left, "you probably haven't even started."

"I have too!" my mouth popped open in protest. "Really?" He asked a little shocked by my answer, knowing from experience what he should have been expecting.

"No," I muttered in defeat, admitting to my procrastination. I was always one to do everything was as late as possible; even writing songs. I knew that I would wait as long as I had to in order to find inspiration, the last thing I want is to have a song that means absolutely nothing.

He shook his head, "you almost had me going there Hughes." I tilted my head in a mocking gesture, "well your welcome Hastings."

He let out a chuckle before a new voice cut in, "I got the dr-" Josh paused when he spotted Mark, "What's he doing here?" His voiced was laced with what could be have been mistaken for anger. I chose to blame my observation on imagination and sat there with a straight face.

I took my drink off Josh and had a big gulp before answering, "sister." He nodded and sat down beside me, however it was obvious he was anything but relaxed.