Chapter Eight

I awoke with a start as I felt cold water being poured across my face and hair.

"What the f-" I started but was cut off by Josh saying, "Mind your language."

"What happened?" I asked, looking around the room for any clues.

He shrugged, "You tell me. One moment you're on the phone to Nina and the next you fainted."

Nina.

Phone.

Suddenly it all came rushing back to me. Oh. My. God.

"Mum's in labour!" I shouted, jumping to my feet.

"Holy sh*t!" He ran a hand through his hair and looked at me desperately, "What should we do? What happened? Is she ok?"

Before over thinking it, I slapped him clean across the face, successfully stopping his rant. He went to open his mouth but I sent him a look as if to say, 'you needed it'.

"You're right." He sighed, "What should we do?"

I started to pace across the room the grab my coat. I didn't answer him until I reached the door. "You stay here and babysit. When Sam wakes up, bring him to the hospital. That's where I’m headed now." Before he could agree or deny what I said, I shut the door.

Before long I arrived at the hospital. I couldn't help the shiver that ran down my side just at the look of it.

I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath.

I can do this.

I chanted to myself over and over until I felt confident enough to step through those doors once again. My breath caught in my throat and tears clouded my eyes the minute I entered the building. It hadn't changed at all.

The walls and floor had a white and blue colour scheme, the furniture was old, and people were sitting in the waiting room, hope covering their features.

So naïve. .

I couldn't help but think.

The one thing that always captured my attention about this place was that people were always busy walking, or even running around. Never for a second do they think to pause and think. I must look like an idiot, being the only person standing, practically frozen, while everyone runs around me.

I always take it as a wakeup call. Life doesn't just pause because you do; everyone and everything keeps going and if you can't keep up... you get left behind.

I shook my head. I can't think like this. I will just fall back into the spell of depression.

I looked around once again before swallowing my nerves and walking to the reception counter.

"Melissa?!" The familiar receptionist, Marie, asked in both shock and happiness, "You're back!" Tears sprung to her eyes as she pointed this out.

I nodded shyly. "Yeah Lace, umm, is Sophia here?" I asked, looking over her shoulder to try and find her.

"Of course! She is going to be so excited to see you! What's it been, 3 years?"

"Four." I sighed, trying to push away the memories that were resurfacing.

Flashback

"NNOOOOO!" I screamed, scratching at the men trying to hold me back.

"Mel! Listen to me, there is nothing we can do." Annie tried to explain.

I shook my head, not giving up my attempts to escape from the men, "I won't let you kill him. Not after everything we've been through. He is going to be fine. He'll make it, I know he will."