Detangle

Clara POV:

I had to meet Caroline at the Boarding house to get my marching orders, she was busy and had to run for her first day of senior year.

I realized that I envied her a little, she was a person so sure of what she wanted to do with her life and she even had the route that would garner her success all mapped out.

Vampirism hadn't caused her to second guess any of her dreams, she was just as determined and focused to see her life go to plan, perhaps even more so from what others had told me of Caroline's human life. 

I on the other hand wasn't sure what to do with myself. Unlike when I was human I now had no restrictions, nothing standing in my way especially now that I had the added abilities of an Original but I felt more directionless now than I ever did as a human.

What was one supposed to do with eternity?

I knew who I wanted to spend it with and I already had him 'locked down' as Caroline would say. There seemed to be no challenges left to overcome which strangely was a little disappointing.

Damon asked me once if I wanted to go to medical school and perhaps become a nurse or doctor but I told him 'no' and I meant it. While I didn't seem to have the difficulty Stefan had around blood it also didn't seem wise to put it to the test too much either and while I am proud of what I did in the civil war being around all that suffering and death wasn't something I was keen to relive. But my life did need some purpose and direction I was just lost as to what it should be.

According to Damon during the course of our troubles with Elijah and Klaus I had shown myself to be a natural military strategist but what career did that really lend itself to? I wasn't eager to put on literal marching boots and join the service nor did I relish the idea of compelling my way into the CIA. I was pleased I had been so much help to everyone during those tough times here but I also didn't want to live with that kind of life and death stress every day.

A hundred years ago this wouldn't have been an issue, my future would have already been decided for me. Either Damon and I would have been accepted by his father and I would have become the lady of the house in charge of a staff and keeping a home, raising children, and entertaining guests, or we would have been on our own and I would have sought employment as a maid or nurse.

I almost wish we could go back to those times, everything seemed simpler then even if it wasn't always better I understood where my place was in the world.

Later that night at the Birthday Party

3rd Person POV:

Damon and Clara used his old room to get dressed for the party. 

They come downstairs as the party is underway. 

"That was pretty nice, huh?" Damon says to Clara.

Clara looks over to him as they finish their descent, "what was?" she asks.

"Oh you know being able to stand up in a shower... walking from the bathroom to a walk-in closet without having to tree jump," he replies.

"Something you want to say, Damon?" Clara asks.

"Me? No happy as a crab."

"Pretty sure the expression is happy as a clam," she tells her husband.

"Huh, is it?"

They start to walk past some people standing in the hallway when Elena comes up to them.

"Hey Elena! Happy Birthday!" Clara says kindly.

"Thanks," Elena replies.

Just then a girl passes between them with a bottle in her hand and Damon quickly stops her.