CHAPTER 12 (Bold and Beautiful)

I know it takes like an hour, maybe two, or even less, for someone to go grocery shopping, but it’s been two days since I heard from him. Perhaps maybe he needed some time off from me, seeing I kept asking about his dead friend. But I also had an obligation to know, seen it was my mother that was dead.

Yet, he couldn’t even show his face, not even stalk me like he used to.

Maybe he thought since I was able to leave his apartment and get back to New York, that I was able to control my powers. Well yes, I think I know how it works but that doesn’t mean I know how to control them, plus, for all he knows I must have jumped out the window and now helplessly roaming the streets of Brazil, looking for aid on how to get back here. Couldn’t he just come looking for me? Or didn’t he even care that I was his best friend’s daughter?

These thoughts just kept on occupying my mind, and then I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to search for who my dad was. So I logged into my laptop and began searching.

It wasn’t very hard to find out what I was searching for due to my connections. I found out that I was registered by only my mom. There was no male parental name in my birth certificate, no secret funding account that was linked to me, nothing indicating that I had a dad somewhere. So I was technically raised by a single mom, a single badass mom with unbelievable abilities.

The realization of it kept my mind roaming as I sat on my swirling chair staring at the city from my window. I was all alone. I wanted to get angry, to let out the pain on someone else or something else.

Then I heard the sound of flipping pages behind me, and I turned to see if someone had entered my office without me knowledge. I turn around and notice the book lying on my desk opened. I panicked. Not knowing what to do. The last time the book had been opened in my office, I was visited by two unknown men, and here it was again.

I immediately reached for it to close it, but the moment my hands touched the book, it began to glow, and my hands were stuck to it. I noticed a word, dark within the glow, Limbo.

I was afraid, panicked, and fascinated all at the same time. Afraid that I couldn’t let go of the book again and would have to cut my skin off just to be free. Panicked, that those two men from before would waltz in and I wouldn’t be able to do anything and fascinated by the act that the light looked so captivating.

Few seconds later, I was able to free my hands from its bondage, and the lights from the book also dimmed down. I took in a deep breath of relief then took notice of the pages on the book. It had the picture of a lady on left page and a profile on the right.

It didn’t take long for me to realize the lady in the picture was my mom. That means the profile on the right must have belonged to her. I held the book in one hand and with the other rubbed the picture as I took in the image of my mom.

I didn’t even care anymore if those two men were to come, they weren’t going to take the book away from me, and not when the only picture of my mom is in there. I was imagining her standing next to me with my hand still placed on her picture when I heard a soft voice call my name.

“Sophia.”
I turned around and took in the image behind me. It was her. She was standing in front of me.

I didn’t have to imagine her beside me anymore; she was here, staring at me with her warm smile that was always so welcoming. I hadn’t realized when I dropped the book and went into her arms.

Tears kept pouring down my face as I felt the warmth of her body and her softness of her voice. She was real, she was very real.

“Mom…I’ve…missed you…so much” I said stammering as my voice choked in tears.

“Oh sweetie, I know. I know dear.” She said patting the back of my head.

“There’s a lot… of things I… couldn’t do without… you here” I said sobbing trying to speak comfortably without the pouring tears distracting me.

“Shhh, it’s ok honey, I’m here now” She said rubbing my back softly and slowly.

After what it seemed like forever, I had managed to calm myself down with my mother by my side. She sat on my couch while I sat on the floor in front of her. My face was pale and my eyes were still red from all the crying.

My mom had been combing my hair with a comb I had provided her while I just sat there staring at the couch in front of me completely blank.

“Your hair has really grown long” she said to me

“I like it long” I said, “It makes me look bold”. I formed a smile

“Yeah, bold and beautiful” she said and it made my face brighten up. “So, has my bold and beautiful daughter falling for any man yet?”

“Mom!” I said stunned by the question. My cheeks were already turning red, and it was not because I had been crying. This moment was all I ever wanted. There was so much I wanted to tell her. Like how my first day in high school was, or what I wore for prom night, or if I ever went for prom. Or the fact that I saw her die and now she is sitting behind me and combing my hair.

I wanted to ask her so many things but I also wanted this moment, so I decided to play along.

“It’s alright sweetheart, you can tell me.” She said

“Well…” I began, “there was this guy, he is totally cute, but he started off by stalking me for a couple of days, then he got hit by a bus which was really horrible but then the craziest thing was that when I went to the hospital to see his body he had the same ring on his finger just like you used to, and my hand mistakenly touched it and all this images started flowing into my mind. It was so creepy. But when I got back here, he was here, alive and well, standing in the middle of my office like nothing just happened, said his name was Dwayne, and all he was concerned with was me not opening that book…”

“Um, Sophia, you…” I interrupted her and continued.

“And he came up with a story that you are a badass relic with unbelievable powers and I had the same gifts as well.”

I was saying but I stopped when I left my mom’s hands leave my hair. I turned and looked at her. “Is everything ok?” I asked.

“Sophia, listen, whatever Dwayne has told you is the truth.”

“What?” I asked. My voice was lower than before,then I turned to face her. “You know him?”

“Yes, I do. And he is telling you the truth. Because I sent him.”