Chapter 3: Rescue Me

Start from the beginning

"Stay back, you hellions!" Tony exclaims dramatically, to which Summer snorts in laughter.

"Are you alright, ma'am?" Paula asks, and Amelia smiles, her blue eyes shining.

"Oh, call me Amelia, please. And yes, I'm fine. You must be Twenty-three? I recognize Runner Five from the files."

I raise a brow, my insides churning. "Files?"

"Yes, we have files on all runners in Abel. Yours were the ones that were originally in Mullins Base. That is the first base you resided in when coming to England."

I breathe out a sigh of relief. Praise God Almighty.

"And you're Seventeen, I believe." Amelia nods at Summer before swinging around towards Tony, her short blonde hair spinning around and nearly whacking her in the face. "And this is the device, is it?"

Tony nods and grins. "It's alright, innit?"

"Oh, it's alright indeed. I think I should probably take it now. Safe pair of hands and all that."

"What the-hey! Careful."

She's already snatched it from him, her eyes narrowed as she examines it with a not-so-gentle hand. We know this because it makes that noise again-the one that signals it isn't working properly.

"Not again," Paula groans while Summer spits out a curse.

"What a clever little thing," She says. "How do you-" The box suddenly lets out an odd sound, almost like when your cable isn't working properly and the sound has a weird echo to it. "That doesn't sound quite right."

"Oh, you done it! You done it, you muppet! You gotta treat her like a lady," Tony exclaims, glaring at her with a look that could kill. I look ahead and see that the zombies are slowing down. Actually, they've already turned and-shit.

Amelia looks down at the device. "I'm sure it's just a matter of um..."

"We need to move right now," Paula says, also having taken notice of the zombies that are heading for us, some of them working up to a sprint. "Run!"

"Don't need to tell me twice," I mutter before taking off. The others follow, running with all their light in effort to get sone distance between us and the zoms.

Tony's still glaring at Amelia. I imagine he's choking her in his mind. I don't blame him, since that device is crucial to us and it might help in finding our people, and Amelia may have just broken it.

We've only just met her and she's managed to get one person in our group to dislike her. That's really not a good sign.

The other red flag was the fact that she wanted to see the device then, instead of doing things like protocol and waiting until after we were all safe to look at the device. I'm a reckless smart ass, sure, but even I know you leave wait before testing that kind of thing out for yourself, especially if we already have someone who knows how to work the device and keep us safe with us.

Did the Ministry send us a newbie or something? I mean, we all know no one will be able to live up to the Major and how she ran things (except maybe Janine, but she would never believe so) but this seems a bit odd that she made such a mistake right away, even if she did just crash land. Because I crash landed, and while I was scared and angry and all kinda of other things, I was smart and thought about the consequences of things before I did them.

Unlike how I do most things now...

Hopefully she'll be more professional and... well, less thoughtless in her further decisions.