Chapter Sixteen - An Attack

"Juniper, c'mon. How come you don't want to go?" Harper asks as we stand in front of my apartment door. I unzip my backpack and fish around for the apartment keys.

"I'm tired, Harp. I just don't feel up to it tonight." I say.

"Juniper," she whines. "Peter's gonna be there. So is Ned. Ally and I are gonna go. Why don't you want to come? We both know you love getting coffee and we both know you love old movies."

"I'm just not feeling up to it tonight." I say, pulling the keys out of my backpack and zipping it back up. Harper moves so that she's between me and the door.

"You're coming."

"No, I'm not."

"Juniper, you're coming. I'm sure your dad won't mind." I hear Atlas whine and scratch at the door as she says this.

"C'mon Harper...I mean, I've...I've got homework." I say.

"You did not just say that."

"Yes, I did. Now move over, I need to let my dog out." I say.

"You can let your dog out. And then you're coming." She says, then moves over. I roll my eyes and unlock the door, opening it to Atlas, who's going nuts and is jumping all over the place. I hook his leash onto his collar and set my backpack by the door, leaving my apartment with Harper right beside me.

"Here," I say, handing the leash to Harper as we leave the building. "I'm gonna text my dad."

"Okay," She says, taking the leash from me. I pull out my phone and start typing away.

I'm going out with my friends tonight. We're gonna go see a movie, I'll text you when it's over. Also, when you get home, can we go out for Mexican food? I'm really craving enchiladas right now.

"What movie are we seeing again?" I ask, sliding my phone back into my pocket.

"The Outsiders," Harper says, flashing me a grin.

"No." I say. "You're kidding, right?" I say.

"I thought it was one of your favorites?" She asks.

"It is. But I'm going to sob." I say. "In front of everyone."

"By everyone, you mean Peter. But who cares? Everyone will cry. It's The Outsiders." She says.

"True," I sigh, taking the leash back from Harper. "But you know how ridiculously emotional I am."

"Yeah," she chuckles. "It's hilarious."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

We take Atlas to the park for a bit and then walk him back to my apartment before heading to the coffee shop to meet Ally, Ned, and Peter. I spend a good ten minutes telling Atlas goodbye and that I'll miss him and that he's a good boy, mainly because I want to annoy Harper. We eventually made it to the coffee shop, only to catch Ally, Ned, and Peter leaving for the movies.

"I only stalled for ten minutes," I say.

"It wasn't ten minutes. It was thirty." Harper snaps. I snort as we follow the three down the street and towards the theatre.

~~~

The theatre lights up slowly, and the credits start rolling and Stay Gold by Stevie Wonder (one of the best songs in the entire world of you ask me) starts playing. I sniff and wipe at my cheek, instantly hating myself for being so emotional. I look around at my friends, and Ally is shoving a handful of M&M's into her mouth, and Harper is chugging her soda on the other side of her. Ned is already standing up and ready to go. I lean forward to look around him, seeing Peter wipe his cheek quickly and standing up. I smile to myself and grab my empty soda cup and join everyone as we exit the theatre.