Chapter 25.

Word travelled fast throughout the remaining students of the training camp. Out of all the students that had come, only a quarter was left standing. Only the toughest had survived up till now. And that meant not only physically but also mentally. The thought of being expelled because of what could be the tiniest mistake gnawed inside.

 But even then, knowing that your friends have been expelled and not even having a chance at saying a proper goodbye. Feeling the sudden loneliness enter and self-esteem fall from the lack of the moral support they gave.

I felt like I was drowning.

After Yuuka walked out of that room, not a trace had been left of her but a single omamori, a good luck charm ,left on my bed. It looked so adorable, and smelled just like her. The crushing thought of not seeing her made tears spring in my eyes.

And [Name] [Last name] doesn't just cry.

The fact that I didn't know how Yuuka felt weighed heavily on my shoulders. Was she mad at me for passing? Did the charm mean she was chearing me on? Was she okay with what happened?

Could I have done something to stop it from happening?

The answer was no.

So simple.

And it hurt.

I remember Yuuka sometimes talked through the golden horn in our room. Wishing us goodluck, talking about how we'd graduate together.

Or daring to wake me up to ask questions about a Japanese dish assignment she had.

I wished I had cherished her more than I had. That I had the certainty to say that she was rooting for me.

But the way she said it.

"[Name]" 

She always used my last name. Because she's polite. Did this mean she was angry at me? Did she think I should've done something for her? But what?

Tightening my grip on the red good luck charm, I breathed heavily.

That damned Shinomiya-chef.

"[Name]-dono, calm down." Nami's monotone voice reached my ears steadily. The introvert girl stared almost unseeing at my raging form. She was Yuuka's partner. And I didn't even know until we shared a room. It just proves how I didn't involve myself enough around Yuuka.

"Don't say that" I muttered. Never having sound so helpless as in that moment.

The black haired girl tilted her head as if she didn't understand. Then she shrugged, leaving the room so I was left alone.

Was she so uncaring?

Did it not matter to her that Yuuka was gone. Her own partner. Freaking gone.

I glared at the door as if my anger could haunt her through the hallways.

Loosening my grip on the now slightly crumpled charm, I placed it on my nightstand and buried my anger and sadness deep inside me. I won't wallow in the pain. Not now.

Putting on my shoes, I went out. But before I could even close the door, a male stepped up and grabbed my hand.

"Ahaaaah, got you~"

___________________________________________________________

"Is there any fucking need to tie me up? I'm not feeling up to shit right now."