In my dreams...

Tomorrow I start 8th grade. I have all of my stuff packed. I'm all ready, at least I think I am. Going back to the building where it all started, going back to classes as if nothing had ever happened. I could never be ready for that. I know I have to go back, though. I have started writing a book about my experience, it's quite easy since I had been there when the incident had happened. I have also found that poetry and songwriting are both good ways to deal with my pain. I finish writing a line in my poetry book,"As I now fall asleep/your love is what I only keep/Through the day and blessed night/your care may never leave my sight." I set my book on my bedside table and make an attempt at sleep. Once I get to sleep my dreams consist of my past, like always. Just everything being normal again. My mom laughing with Luke and me. Then I have flashes of nightmares. I watch again as Luke slumps to the ground in a bloody heap, I painfully re-live both of their tearful funerals. I wake with a scream and I feel warm liquid leave my eyes. Mrs. Brady rushes into the room and sits on the cushiony bed beside me. She hugs me as I cry and says,"I know. I know. I get them, too." I hug her back and slowly calm down. I always put one of my hands behind my back when I hug people now. I know that it wouldn't help if someone did decide to stab me, but it reassures me, somehow. I go back to sleep after Mrs. Brady leaves again.
I don't dream again that night.
I wake up and start to get ready for school. As I change out of my night clothes, I look in the mirror at the scar on my back. As I stare at it, I remember that terrible moment in the woods, when I had felt so helpless. Then I look at my face in the mirror and remember how strong I was for pulling through that. I could have died that day, but I lived. I am not weak. I am so very strong. I am going to join football this year, I know that I can succeed.