Chapter Eleven

[Cato's POV]

They dressed me up in a gladiator costume which I surprisingly liked.

It fit me well. Gladiators are fighters, warriors who are thirsty for blood. Maybe a little bit like me.

My stylist, Farrah led me to my chariot and when I saw Clove in her own gladiator costume, I must say it fit her well. I know she says I'm the monster, I'm the one who likes killing, but she could be pretty fierce herself.

"All right, you two," Freshnida, apparently Clove's stylist and Farrah's twin, comes over, "Act like you would kill them any second now,"

"Any other advice?" I ask, sounding bored. 

"Never ever ever look at each other," Farrah warns, "Stay as far away as possible,"

"Why would we do that?" Clove asks and I look at her, thinking she might want to get close to me in the ride. But then she clears her throat and says, "I mean, we could look like we are a formidable team,"

"No." Freshnida and Farrah both say at the same time as they led us to our chariot, "You need to look formidable... alone."

"You need to look like you can make it through the Games without needing anyone else," Freshnida chides, "Come on, climb up. It's starting,"

I climb up first, and when I offer Clove my hand, she brushes it away, and I remember the first time we met.

She brushed my hand away that time too, but I liked that moment better.

The District One tributes climb up their chariot as well, and they're dressed in pink feathery clothes. The female tribute caught sight of me and winked. I figured since Clove is still unreadable, I smiled back.

The District One chariot rolled up first and they're greeted with screams and flying kisses and roses. They must be Careers like us. After five minutes, our chariot rolls up.

I gave my best evil face, and smirked when I caught a rose in my hand. I raised my fist and crushed the delicate thing in my hand. As expected, they screamed some more. I dare to look at Clove. She's got her head held high, staring into some unknown point up ahead. 

She looked just as deadly as I did.

Our chariots pulled up in front of President Snow. I look at up at him, trying to catch his eye. He's too far up even with their magnifying lenses, I know, but I wanted him to know he's looking at the next victor.

Suddenly, a roar comes from the crowds. I know we're supposed to look unfazed but Clove and I can't help but look at whoever they're screaming at. 

The tributes from Twelve.

Their black costumes are on fire, and more than that, they're actually holding hands. The crowd loves them. I felt my blood boil. I deserve the attention, not them. I notice the District One tributes giving death glares to them, and the District Four girl giving pointed looks.

Looks like those two are sending us a death wish.

The night went by pretty fast.

Soon, we were back in our penthouse suite. Clove and I still have our gladiator costumes on. Lyme and Enobaria give Clove and I hug, while Brutus slaps me on the back. Sharpee cries saying we're so "beautiful".

Freshnida and Farrah come in and congratulate us on how "pretty" we looked.

We watched a recap on our screen, and I have to admit, everyone seems to be transformed. Even those ugly kids from District Five and Seven.

Then District Twelve rolls up with their fiery costumes. Sharpee stands up and starts cursing saying "Damn that Effie!" Maybe it's their escort.

But why damn the escort? I'd damn those tributes. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. I watch as she catches a rose and blows a flying kiss to the crowd. Without thinking, I stand up and smash the vase next to me in pieces

"Cato, what are you doing?!" Farrah screams.

"Nah, that's perfectly normal," Brutus chuckles, "Let him be,"

"Why didn't you guys think of something as spectacular as that?" I jab my finger towards Farrah. "Now Twelve will be unforgettable!"

"Cato, the sponsors would still bet on you-" Lyme starts but I cut her off.

"Still!" I take off my gladiator helmet and walk out. I stopped at the door as I hear Brutus say, "Well, he's trained in the Career mindset. You can't blame him,"

Right. Career mindset. I know that isn't a reason for me to act that way. Freshnida and Farrah must have worked hard on those costumes. But seeing District Twelve in their flaming outfits made me and Clove seem so insignificant.

Clove. She could calm me down. Why did I act so stupid in front of her?

Just thinking about it made me angrier, and I ripped the bedsheet out and punched the walls. Suddenly a knock came on my door. I counted up to ten seconds before trusting myself to open it.

"Clove?" those dark eyes looked up at me.

"Hey," she says, "Can I come in?"

"Sure," I distance myself from her. The last time anything between us had been friendly seemed like a million years ago.

She looks at the ripped bedsheet lying on the floor. "So I'm taking it you aren't calm?"

"I'm calm now," I sit on the now naked bed. She sits beside me and I'm suddenly aware of how beautiful she looked now that she has removed her make-up.

"You shouldn't have volunteered," I say quietly. "You should have let someone else be here,"

"I didn't even know why I volunteered in the first place," she sighs and I resisted the impulse to hug her. 

"Yes, you do," I whisper. "You do, but you're afraid to admit it. You're afraid your decision might be wrong,"

Clove smiles sadly. "Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you,"

"Why not?" I grab her arms, "Clove, we could win. Maybe they'd make a rule change and win. See those District Twelve idiots? They were like a couple. We could pretend and..."

"Cato, stop," she says, and I realize I grabbed her arms too hard. She stands up. "We're supposed to be vicious, deadly... not a pair of lovebirds. You know that!"

"Then I'd gladly kill anyone who gets in the way!" I scream at her. "Clove, you made me change! Not only my personality or whatever but you changed what I think about the Games! Clove, you... I... I can't let you die,"

She walks out the door, and I could see her eyes are brimming with tears.

"Cato, maybe... maybe you should."