chapter twenty five

second day without daryl
chapter twenty five
august

>>

that next morning, i went to the showers that axel got working for us while we were gone.

i grabbed a pair of blue jeans, discarding my black ones. a dark maroon shirt for my blue one. then my flannel. discarded simply because i felt like i needed too.

i asked beth for the shampoo and a towel and she happily obliged. beth even showed me where the showers were. she showed me how to turn them on, even though i could manage. she was being nice and i was grateful.

as i washed my hip length hair, i knew what was going to happen next.

when i finished, i put on my clean clothes, putting my weapons rightfully on my sides. i threw my hair into the towel and walked back into our cell block. i threw the dirty clothes in the hamper that carol kept for us all and grabbed the scissors from the drawer.

"hey kid," i said as i leaned against the doorway of carl's room. "wanna help me with something?" i showed him the scissors and his eyes went wide. he nodded vigorously and we went down the next three cells, using the empty one. i sat on the stool in front of the mirror and told him to get cutting.

he smiled for the first time in a while and that was the best thing i could ever do.

>>