chapter seventeen

the next day.
chapter seventeen
august

>>

the next morning i woke up to voices downstairs. i sat up, rubbed my eyes, and then put my shoes on.

not very exciting.

when i walked down the steps, there was a bunch of gear on one of the tables.

"we where just talking about you." rick says to me. i give him a curious look.

[a:n this part is gonna make no sense but i wanted to make august seem smart. so bear with me, lmfao. kms]

"what about?"

"well, since we all know you're sciencey and stuff, they wanted to know if it was safe to wear these." carl explains.

"i mean, did you clean them?" i can tell they at least wiped them off, but i wasn't sure.

"we wiped them down." rick answers.

"hm... i would say only this one would be. it has the least goo on it and it didn't look like there was a lot to begin with anyway. the rest, throw away. only touch with gloves, and then you're all set." i looked up at them all and smiled.

the group nodded and gave the chest protector to hershel.

next thing was about who got to go and explore the tombs. it was obvious rick and daryl would be going.

"what if it's just glenn, hershel, august, daryl and i?" rick says to us.

"i don't want him goin' alone." maggie objects, meaning hershel.

i sigh. "what if maggie went instead of me?"

daryl gives me a look. he knew i could take care of myself, but he didn't like leaving me alone for long period of time.

"yeah, let's just do that." i say. "besides, i'm sure carl could use the extra lessons in uno." i give my nephew a teasing wink and he huffs.

"aug, we all know i beat you every time. you're the one who needs the lessons." he rolls his eyes and we all crack up laughing.

"let's get a move on." rick tells us. he's been a debby downer lately. i think it's because of lori and their relationship. it wasn't the easiest over the winter with them bickering back and forth.

"buzzkill." i mumble. i walk over to daryl, giving him a small hug. "be careful." i tell him."

"you too." he kisses my cheek, leaving with the group. the rest of us head into the cell's, carl locking the door behind us.

>>

the book might be ending soon, so the chapters will be short.

but there is a book 2 (refer back to the title)