chapter twenty three

n. for the next few chapters, i am recommending the album "handwritten (deluxe) by shawn mendes"
i think it sets the mood for the point in trying to get across.

>>

seconds later
chapter twenty three
august

>>

when the explosion sounded, i knew rick had came. i felt someone grab me and i had hoped that it was one of ours.

when i realized it was and the ties were cut off, we made our way to a random building. upon entry, daryl immediately grabbed me and took me into his arms.

tears streamed down my face. i was ecstatic to see him. to see rick, even to see that oscar had come with them.

"are you okay? did they hurt you?"

"just a few bruises and a bullet. i'll be fine." he wiped my tears with his thumb and brought me into another hug.

"daryl." glenn managed to get out. "this was merle. he did this."

"aug?" i nodded at his request.

"did you see him?" rick asked us.

"face to face." i answered. "threw a walker at glenn and i. he was gonna execute us."

"s-so my brothers the goven'r?" he asks.

"no, it's someone else. your brother is his right hand or somethin'." maggie answers.

"does he know i'm with you?"

"he does now. i'm sorry rick. we told him where the prison was, we couldn't hold out." i answer.

"don't. no need to apologize. as long as you guys are safe." rick says as he looks at me. i nod.

"can you walk? we got a car a few miles out."

"i'm good." glenn answers the question. before we can make a run for it, daryl and rick go back and forth, bickering at whether daryl gets to see merle.

when they agree, rick throws a smoke bomb and we all start shouting. except glenn and i. i was staying with maggie while she made a way through and i helped him to a safe place.

when we made it behind a corner, we had figured out that we had to get out now, or not at all.

"i'll stay behind, cover you. meet you at the car." daryl says.

"no." i immediately protest his statement.

"no time for arguing darlin'."

"how many smoke bombs?"

"a few. i'll throw one out and you guys get outta here." daryl says. as much as i didn't like this, i couldn't disagree. it would only waste time.

so when we did get out of the corner, oscar and maggie held fire while i helped glenn get out. we made it a car and we had to climb up the car to make it over the gate.