chapter one

just a small note, i am changing ages, daryl will be a little younger, like 25 age range and august will be at least 20+ so no worries. also lily collins is august grimes.

pre-apocalypse
chapter one
august

>>

i was smoking before i went inside. as the cig was in my mouth, i played with sleeves of my sweater. i took it out of mouth and blew out.

i dropped the cigarette and stomped on it. then i went to knock on the door.

"oh my god, it's so good to see you! you look fantastic!" lori compliments.

"thanks."

"in-patient did its job, didn't it?" she asks. i didn't get offended anymore when anyone asked about my in-patient treatment. i needed it.

"it certainly did." i smile at her and she leads me into the house.

"rick is at work, but i have to go get dinner. would you mind picking up carl from school?"

"no worries. i love that kid to death." she smiles and tells me it's right up the street that he should get out in about 10-15 minutes. i nodded at each word and she left.

for the next five minutes, i went to go to my room. i've had a room here ever since rick and lori got married. my parents found out what i was suffering from, sent me to ricks place. they gave me a place to stay, i helped out with carl as he was just born, and i even got a little better. until it happened again. then i got worse. rick sat me down and said if i didn't eat or go to in-patient he'd kick me out. so i went to in-patient and i'm doing a lot better.

anyways, i noticed i only had a few minutes, so i ran to carl's school. i grabbed my backpack that i had my phone, wallet and other essentials, then exited the house. kings county was a place where you leave your doors unlocked so i wasn't worried all too much.

as soon i got to kings county elementary, i saw carl on the bench.

"oh my god, kid, i am so sorry." i put my hands on my knees and started panting.

"aunt auggie!"

"nephew carl!" i mocked. he gave me a big hug and i sighed, glad to see him. it had been 3 months since i last saw everyone and i missed them like crazy.

"come on kid, your mom's gotta be home by now." carl said he wanted to race, i told him no way as i just ran here. so he stopped mid-tracks. god this kid was as stubborn as his mother.

"fine." we raced to the house and once we arrived, both of us collapsed onto the floor. laughing our asses off.

>>

at dinner, shane was joining us. as soon as rick got home with him, i got terrified.

"how was your... erm... trip?" rick asks me. we all called it my trip even though i was in a house for 3 months.

"it was really good. i went to this chinese restaurant outside of kings county and oh my god rick, it was amazing! i'll have to take you."

"you look good, aug. i'm proud of you." he replies, carl looking confused as fuck. he pats my back and i smile up at him.

it meant a lot to me that rick was proud of me. we were really close up until i was 14. that's when... when i stopped eating and sleeping. basically doing any healthy thing, i stopped doing. except running of course. i loved running. it was my passion. my goal was to go to the olympics. i knew it wasn't going to happen, but i still ran every morning.

after everyone was done eating, we had desert. i told rick i wasn't ready for that yet, and he told me it was okay.

carl then proceeded to ask why. i told him i didn't like vanilla ice cream, even though it was favorite.

it was the good moment, all of us laughing and having a good time.

it was like everything was normal again.

until it wasn't.

>>