Kyoko was about to bite back, but Reborn stood in between us. 

"I'll permit it," Reborn made a surprising decision.

"Wait, Reborn?!" Tsuna reacted, "You can't possibly be serious!"

Reborn did not pay Tsuna any mind at all. Turning to me and looking me in the eye-- Reborn seemed very much serious. 

"So," I couldn't help the gulp, but managed a smile, "What's the catch?"

"I need you to be a spy." Reborn told me, "Find out everything you can manage to secure. Then, report back."

"You're telling me to march into enemy base?" I couldn't help the gawk in my tone, "That.. That's the exact opposite of what everyone else has been telling me to do."

Reborn nodded. "The future you has an expertise in this field. So much that the Varia never had any lack of information." he told me, "As such, I expect no less from the you now."

I gulped. "Reborn, you..." I choked on my words, "Have you considered the possibility that I already know everything that's going to happen in this battle?"

This made Tsuna lift his head abruptly in alarm. "Rei-san, what does that mean?"

"I'm asking you," Reborn continued, "To find out which little information you can tell me."

Hearing that, my fists tightened. "That's pointless," I told Reborn.

"Pointless as it is," Reborn sternly retorted, "You were the one that wanted to be useful in this battle. I trust your reflexes can bring you somewhere and us to a higher point in this battle."

With heavy reluctance, I nodded.

-

"Happy Mothers' Day, Eve!" 

Drew and Zen both held a red carnation in their hands, Drew a meek grin on her face as her eldest brother looked back, baffled. Zen stood by the side, a shy smile barely noticeable on her face.

"Wait-" Eve was taken aback, "Wha- Why?"

Zen pointed at Drew, "Her idea."

"Everyone at kindergarten told me you gotta give red carnations to Mommies on Mother's Day!" she declared cheerfully, "That's why Eevee gets flowers!"

"But I"m not a mother!" Eve whined, "if anything, I've rather be a Father figure..."

"Eh?" Drew sounded sincerely confused, "But if Eve's the Dad, what's Zen gonna be?"

Eve snapped to Zen, feeling absolutely betrayed. With a sigh, Zen shrugged.

-

I had probably never run this much without tiring before. But now, there were too many things on my mind to bring on another worry.

Something caught my eye. In the corner of my vision-- 

I paused. 

"I passed this area before," I told myself, "This was the route I crossed."

Looking around, I was further convinced that this was the same road I scampered across whilst escaping from the Funeral Wreaths.

Closer, I realized. I was getting there. Russo's right around. I know. I just do. My legs brought me in directions I wasn't sure led me right. But my head didn't think of that.

He's there, I focused.

Sounds of battle were all around. On the Varia side of things, on the Hibari side of conflict--

I find myself at a clearing.

I found myself at a clearing-- and there Russo was, on the ground, two of his limbs limp, a great distance away from the main body-- and Byakuran with a foot digging into his face.

As he noticed me, Byakuran lifted his gaze. His lips curled up into a mischievous, perfect grin--

"My, look who's here."

-

A crinkle in the earpiece.

"Rei, anything new?" Reborn spoke into the earpiece.

I gulped. What do I say, what do I say, what do I-

Byakuran gaze toward me was incredibly murderous. I flinched-- the incredible pressure in that one gaze brought on ten tonnes of weight pressing down on my entire being. 

I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna-

My eyes caught sight of Russo's. His bright red eye-- looking under from Byakuran's freaking boot-- it sent me one calm and collected gaze.

Instantly, I had the power to stand. My shoulders lifted, lighter than ever before-- and my heart beat at its resting heart rate.

"No," I spoke without a bit of tension in my tone. "Sadly, nothing as of yet. Nothing useful."

"I see," Reborn replied.

Plucking off my earpiece, I tucked it into my pocket. Taking two deep breaths-- I planted a kiss on the birthmark at my left wrist.

I moved my right arm to its place above my heart, and managed a curt bow.

I couldn't force out a smile, but I believe it was fine stoic and serious.

"It is an honour to meet you, Byakuran-san." I addressed him. "I now go by the name Ninomiya Rei, and that down there refers to himself as Russo."

"The both of us are, you could say," I kept myself calm, "Travellers." I didn't know another word, "Which would probably explain the reason you don't know us."

"Travellers," Byakuran repeated, almost amused, "Well-- that's intriguing. Would your presence aid in my goal? Or would it perhaps... be a nuisance to my aim?"

"It's hard to say," I admitted, "We're typically not allowed to, nor do we have the desire to interfere with the natural route of this world. As such, we do not personally prevent, or directly aim to get in the way of the outcome."

Speaking as if I had the upper hand was my way of maintaining confidence and calmness. In a situation like this, any mark of weakness would bring me straight back down to the Void-- where I may probably end up down in hell this time around. 

"You sure use some big words and hard language," Byakuran sounded amused, but it only lasted a second. His eyes narrowed instantly, and a pure shot of hostility was fired. "So, can I assume neither of you are useful to me?"

Unlike Russo, I can still die.

I managed a small smile, unable to keep up the facade that hid my nervous wreck. I was scared-- Scared of this man. Why? I wasn't really sure.

What could we do to protect ourselves? I had no strength to speak of, and no way of fighting back. Regardless, we shouldn't be inflicting any injuries on his at the moment. Any difference in his physical stature may affect the final battle. 

At this delicate point of the world, it was the last thing we should do.

Russo's left leg was right by my side-- I leaned down to pick it up. It was eerily light-- and as I touched it I realized it was stiff as a rock, chilly as ice.

Ah, I was reminded, This is a zombie's hand. 

A zombie, who, unlike me, cannot yet die.

"Russo, it's about time for you to stop playing dead, don't you think?"