109. Progression

109. Progression

I spoke to Xanxus for an excruciatingly miraculous long time.

The rest of the Varia had lost interest long ago and left us to our own devices; Xanxus and I conversed-- no, I was the one speaking. Xanxus listened.

He was abnormally quiet; Silent; Patient. Perhaps he didn't wish to listen, but did so out of-- I don't know. He wasn't yelling at me to shut up and go away. In contrast to that, I felt his gaze was pressuring me to keep talking.

It may have been the silence that scared me-- the fact that I had no means of escape, so my instincts urged me to buy time.

I wasn't sure if I would delve into my past in my speech. He would probably be uninterested. Would it make him annoyed? Would it be the trigger to cause my life?

Instead, I spoke of the future-- what Xanxus would be in ten years, things he already knew; then I told him of the resent-- the Arcobaleno, the representatives, and the battles that would occur. 

Furthermore I spoke about my lung condition. The advantages I would hold over his head. I would die soon-- thus I would hold no long burden and hassle to care for. 

He simple scowled to the end, and it didn't take long to know how much breath I was wasting. Occasional coughing interrupted my sentences; and I felt the burn of something more than thirst at my throat. With another cough, I found my throat drier than before, the pain a flare in my trachea-- and I could speak no more.

My last resort was to close my eyes. Bowing lowly, my forehead on the ground-- I apologized from the depths of my hearts; Begging for my life.

With a scoff, Xanxus looked away, disinterested. "You bring shame to the Flame of the Cloud," he spat at me. A look of contempt, disgust-- revulsion.

My eyes widen-- and I felt a little something crack inside.

I bit my bottom lip. Feeling a little tear fail to escape, a smile crawled up my face. 

"I see," I chuckle.

-

Right after, Tsuna interrupted the stale atmosphere with a marvelous roll, barrel and face skid into the room, across the tatami to the side of me.

"Owwwch!!" Tsuna whined, raising his head and nursing a bruised nose, "Why are the Varia here?? Wait, Belphegor said something like the boss--"

Realizing the almighty presence of Lord Xanxus before him, Tsuna felt his heart stop in horror.

The next second he was freaking out, "Xa-Xanxus??" Shooting back and ducking away, he noticed me. Looking over slowly, he shrieked louder, "REI??"

Covering my ears nonchalantly I sighed. "Yes, yes, I'm Rei. How may I help you, dear sir?" I spoke in a monotone.