75. Words

75. Words

I watched the Choice Battle from where everyone else was on standby.

Catching sight of the prefect I hadn't seen in ages, I decided to approach him. Making sure my smile was on my face-- the smile that's not too happy or cheerful, but not too fake-- because if I seem overconfident I'll get bitten to death-- "Hibari-san, it's been a while." I greeted him.

"Hn," he made a response. He might've been wondering why I was there, but he didn't voice the question. His inquiring, interrogative gaze spoke volumes, though.

I looked away. Am I supposed to answer, or am I not?

"Woah, it's the tinier Kyouya-san!" Russo interrupted boisterously, slinging an arm over Hibari's shoulder abruptly and forcefully, "You're so small now!"

The instant he appeared, Dino and I jumped and made a loud yelp in absolute shock. It started with 'wait a minute when did he', then quickly advanced into 'oh god no'.

Hibari's response wasn't as expressive, but was much quicker. Drawing his tonfas after a momentary flinch, he swung back reflexively. 

Russo narrowly dodged with a swerve backward-- but that was all he managed to avoid before Hibari's second strike hammered him in the head.

Crouching down and holding his head in agony, he let out a strangled cry. "That was mean, Kyouya-sannn," he whined.

"I thought you couldn't feel pain?" I asked. 

"My heart hurts!" he wailed.

"Now, now," Dino let out a dry chuckle, "Russo-san, you should've known better..." he tried to soothe the zombie, "The past Kyouya doesn't know you, after all."

Hibari was still angered-- his eyes were murderous and his glare could kill a rabbit-- but he let out a sigh as Russo ducked behind me.

"Ah, Hibari-senpai, this guy here is Russo-san." I introduced, "He said he was pretty friendly with the future you, though that's probably a lie. Ah, but he's no harm, I promise."

"Is it 'let's hurt Russo-san day'? Is it?" 

Hibari let out a hum in response, but his gaze didn't die down. "Is he strong?" he asked as if a taunt, getting into battle position.

"Oh." I realized something. "Well then, please excuse me..."

"Eh? Where are you going, Rei? Wait, Kyouya?" Dino responded quickly as he realized what was about to happen, "Choice is just about to begin-"

Right as I stepped aside, Russo bolted up to his feet. "Yes, I'm real strong!" he declared proudly, "I've been waiting for this! Wanna go?"

"I'll bite you to death!" Hibari growled.

-

"Rei-san, look at that! Motorbikes!" Haru called excitedly, "It's completely different from what I expected Mafia to fight like!"