9. Begin!

9. Begin!

"And camera-- Action!" I say into the camera.

The lights came on and showed Sae, who had on a top hat with a bright red ribbon tied into a big bow at the rim. She already had clown makeup on, her face powdered white and her eyes lined with gold and shadowed with magenta. A red heart was drawn under her right eye, a black diamond under the other eye.

She smiled, "Eins!"

Sui walked into view, putting on a top hat with a big blue ribbon tied to it, in a similar fashion to Sae's. Her face was, like Sae's, white, her eyes lined with gold and shadowed with a shade of mystic blue. A blue spade was drawn under her left eye, a black diamond drawn under the right.

Stoically, she raised her fingers in a V. "Zwei," she said.

My top hat was a dark green. It looked exactly like the one I had in my previous life. I wore it a little slanted back, the part of my fringe pinned down by my hairclips. My eyes were lined with gold and shadowed with green- a green clover was drawn under my left eye, a black diamond under my right.

"Drei!" I declared.

A surge of pink smoke burst forth, clouding the camera's screen and filling the view with a pink misty clump of fog. The smokescreen quickly dissipated, revealing a suited figure sitting down on the bed, her legs dangling off the edge, her red-and-white striped socks stnading out among the light beige sheets.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" she giggled, raising her right arm to the sky, a bright, beaming smile on her face.

"Welcome once again," Sui joined her sister on the bed, leaning in close, her blue attire a mirror to her sisters', her expressions stuck in a poker face. "To the night of glory days?" she made the last part sound adorably like a question.

Holding in a chuckle, I stroll in. I stood in front of the bed, the girls parting so I'd be standing in between the two of them. I smile, putting a finger to my lips.

"We hope you enjoy your stay."

My name is Ninomiya Rei. I work part-time as a Magician that give live shows on the internet. I have two assistants that are actually my sisters, and a behind-the-scenes makeup artist that is actually my dad.

-----

"Eh? What're you doing here, Ninomiya?" Kunomasu-sensei asked, sucking on a lollipop.

"It's PE," I mumble, "I'm banned from this class because of you, remember?"

Kuma-sensei gave a look of ohhhh before turning back to the book on the table. "Help yourself to a nap, then."

I sighed. Two years ago, Kuma-sensei had taken the effort to post an official rule to the schools in Namimori, namely Namimori Elementary, Namimori Junior High and Namimori High.

And the rule was simple: Ninomiya Rei is NOT ALLOWED to participate in Physical Education classes.

And apparently Kuma-sensei was a more influential person than I thought, because wow, I've been treated as a plague in PE since then.

Damn you, Kuma.

I plopped onto the bed and drew the curtains, pulling the covers over myself and shutting my eyes.

I heard the class is playing basketball today. Sounds fun. It's been forever since I touched a basketball.

Basketball? Wait a minute I'm remembering something. Something about a basketball match. I think it's important.

After minutes of being unable to remember, I gave up. Oh well, guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Ahh, I wish I could run with Takeshi again some day. Our races ended in a draw.

The first thing that happens to him in the anime... He breaks his arm during practice, I think... Wait, wasn't there something before that?

I quickly sat up.

A basketball match!!

The story has already begun. Reborn was right around the corner somewhere, and soon Tsuna would be dashing around in his boxers every day. I'm so stupid! It started while I was worrying about when it'd start! Now what?

...

I dropped back onto the bed and closed my eyes.

Guess I'll just worry about it later.

-----

"Hey, Rei! Wake up!" Takeshi calls, leaning over my face from the side of the bed, "Rise and shine!"

I bolted upwards.

My head in a mess, I looked around, confused. Like, huh? Wait, what? This isn't my room. This is the infirmary. Takeshi? Isn't he supposed to be in class- huh? Wait? What-?

"School's over, y'know?" he said.

I froze.

"Kuma-sensei!" I snapped.

"Well, you were sleeping adorably there." Kuma said, eating a new lollipop now. He absent-mindedly lifted his pen from his work for a brief response before proceeding back to who-knows-what, "As a nurse and a doctor, I thought you sleeping was a healthier choice-"

"Don't play the doctor act now!" I growled, turning to the clock, "Ahhh! Look at the time! I'm gonna be late!"

"Late?" Kuma questioned.

"Oh, for Sae and Sui?" Takeshi said, "I grabbed your bag for ya."

Snatching it from his hand, I jumped up from the bed and spun out of the room. "Thanks, Takeshi!" I said, "See ya tomorrow!"

"Good luck!" Takeshi bid.

"Have fun- Wait, don't run!!" Kuma-sensei got up, calling after me.

-----

It's tomorrow, I thought. Tomorrow is where all the Mafia business begins. KHR being a pretty complete anime in itself, there's really not much I can do here without undermining the main characters.

It's a little late, but what about Flames? Learning flames at this point is quite...pointless, honestly, because boxes only come by in the Future. Well, I'll learn Flames someday.

But for now... Hm, Daily Life Arc, huh. Not very keen about it. I mean, most of it's just an episodic mess of Tsuna running around in boxers. I can't really complain, KHR started off as a gag manga.

I couldn't do sports, so I've been busying myself with my Clown thing and secret training to maintain my physical stature, but now that Mafia's coming in should I change my daily routine?

Really, why am I still worrying about this? It probably isn't my choice if I get involved in the Mafia or not. I mean, who know what can catch the attention of our dear hitman tutor Reborn?

"Rei-chaan!" I hear Sae call out. "You're late!"

"Rei-chan," was all Sui said.

I sigh.

"Sorry I'm late. Let's go home."