"Honey, it takes him a long time to understand. You know how he is." She tries to reassure softly.

I sigh. I know she's just saying all of this to make me feel better. "Okay, I guess." I try to smile at her, but I know that I'm failing to do just that.

My mother smiles gently and changes the topic immediately. "Anyway, we can't be having you stand here all day. Come on in." She says, turning around and stepping into the familiar old mansion I used to live in my whole life.

I walk inside, seeing a lot of people running around with supplies and decorations, and some others with a tablet in their hands, telling the ones running around what to do. "We're preparing for the party, which will be in the ballroom as usual." My mother explains as we walk past the employees.

All the decorations were silver and crystal clear. It was beautiful, even though everything in here was probably too expensive. Something I wasn't really used to.

"I decided to have a crystal theme this year for the event. The dress attire is silver and black for everyone else, and for us, we will be wearing red gowns that I will choose for the both of us." My mother adds.

"I love that idea." My eyes widen in surprise. That's beautiful. Red was our signature color too.

My mother looks back and smiles. "Thank you. I have a few choices for you and your friends to choose from. Whenever you have time, come a few days before the event with Leilani and Norah to pick out your gowns. Have two gowns chosen, okay? The second gown will be worn for the after-party that we will have at our hotel in the city."

I nod and smile. "Okay, that's perfect. I'll let you know as soon as possible when we will be coming over."

She sighs. "I would have gotten it custom made if you and your friends were there a bit early, but I know you guys will be happy with whatever we have."

We were now in the ballroom where everyone was doing their own job, and we stayed out the way. Everyone running left and right with things in their hands, but they were careful and doing an excellent job.

"Oh, I wanted to give you a tour of the house! I completely forgot I wanted to." My mother says out of nowhere.

She started walking out of the large ballroom, which was located in the south wing of the property. When I say the party wing, as known as the south wing, is large, I really mean it. My parents own a lot of lands and they used the extra space for parties. The area was like as if it was another house next door owned by someone else.

"Remember I mentioned a few months ago I remodeled the house? I want to show you what I changed." She says excitedly.

I smile and nod. "Well, take it away, mama."

~
December 29th, 2018
New York, New York
3 days till New Years

Vera's P.O.V.

1:08pm.

It was in the afternoon when I was checking my emails and replying to them on the sofa with the girls. Norah, Lilly, and I decided to stay in for the morning since we hadn't had much to do until later. We had the morning to ourselves.

"So what's the plan?" Lilly asks before I glanced up to see Norah coming into the living room with a bag of chips.

"I'm just checking my emails and stuff. I was thinking to chill for about an hour." I answer as I scrolled down my inbox on my laptop.